1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CORPO

Lookin good man!... i cant wait to get my frame back out of storage... winter is killing me

Thanks Corpo,

Corpo: I can't wait until you get back on your frame either, want to see what you do next.

Love those duallies. By the way, it was 65 degrees here today, welding, cutting and grinding outside all day. Do as much of that as possible outside under the roof extension to keep the garbage out of the shop.

Cab is looking good. Creative dent puller. Beats $2k for a stud welder.

Thanks for the vise grip idea. I have a cheap HF stud gun that sets the studs OK, but the slide hammer doesn't hold. I'll try the vise grip method the next time I need to use it.

not a whole lot to report.. just tinkering waiting for spring.. so i decided to rebuild the rear drums.. and planning out my disk brake conversion for the front.. does any one know of any disks that are reasonably flat that has a 6 lug 5" spacing.. im pretty sure that full size gm and possibly some jeeps have that pattern..

took me forever but i drilled the first of the two backer plates.. its either 36-38 holes.. dont remember.. the 5/8" drill bit is a little wild in the hand drill

you can see the bottom of this backer plate was damaged.. i pieced in some new metal.. think it turned out pretty good

BackerPlateWithHoles.jpg

Last edited:
That looks very precise, can't believe you can do that with a hand drill. Nice to know winter hasn't brought you to a complete stand still. Hang in there, spring is just around the corner.

thanks, i cheated and made a template to lay out the holes on a piece of paper then tapped it to the backer plate and used a center punch through the paper...

MY OH MY OH MY!!!!
Corpo.... U have got some Really Great Talent!!
I read yur whole Build, and am Quite impressed!!
I have mad respect for People that take the time to do it right!!
Nothing this good and Original can be forfeited to a Half-A$$ Job.... and
From tha Lookz of it, U Pulled out all tha Stops!!
I will be keeping Close eye on yur Progress!!
Can't wait to See that Cab Mocked Up on there!!
What are yur Plans for the Bed?
How much movement do u get side to side with both Front & Rear Panhard
Bars?? Jus Curious....

Keep up tha Good Work!! Spring Is here!! Gotta Get her goin for Summer!!!!

MY OH MY OH MY!!!!
Corpo.... U have got some Really Great Talent!!
I read yur whole Build, and am Quite impressed!!
I have mad respect for People that take the time to do it right!!
Nothing this good and Original can be forfeited to a Half-A$$ Job.... and
From tha Lookz of it, U Pulled out all tha Stops!!
I will be keeping Close eye on yur Progress!!
Can't wait to See that Cab Mocked Up on there!!
What are yur Plans for the Bed?
How much movement do u get side to side with both Front & Rear Panhard
Bars?? Jus Curious....

Keep up tha Good Work!! Spring Is here!! Gotta Get her goin for Summer!!!!

Thanks man.. i appreciate the kind words.. guys have built entire rides in the time i have in to mine thus far and its not even close to done.. but i want it to be a certain way when im done.. so im just taking my time to figure it out right the first time.. although i do still have some concern on a few things.. but winter has given me alot of time to think about solutions to fix them if the problems should arise...

as far as the bed goes... i was originally going to put nothing out back.. but i want to have at least a small storage area... i am ideally wanting to find a mid to late 30's GMC bed because i really like the look of the gmc logo on the tail gate so if anyone has one im in need... !

Although i am open to any beds... I had a lead on a super old bed it was.. it was all riveted together.. I also have thought about trying to find an old dump bed one of the old manual crank ones and try to chop it down.. also thought about an old manual wrecker arm... but i think i would really have to modify it to get it low enough to look right.. and at the same time i really want to drive the wheels off it when im done.. and i dont know if i really want something sticking up that high all the time...

But honestly like i said probably just a regular bed... probably will have to extend it down on the side to get it to flow with the cab... the links will run to the outside of the bed sides. just cause i think that will look cool

But i am open to suggestions on the beds and let me know what you guys have that you want to part with.. preferably nearish to Chicago... cause thats where i am... but road trips are never out of the question

I would have to double check on the panhard movement.. but if i call from memory.. the front isnt too bad.. maybe like .5 inch.. but the rear is over an inch... this is movement to full deflate on the bags

they are talkin in the mid 40's by the end of the week so hopefully spring isnt too far off

I don't thick I could have got those holes that even with a cnc machine . Nice job and very creative .

Thanks man..! i just finally found my big 1-1/4" couter bore bit... its been hiding for quite some time.. so now i can finish the backer plates with a little chamfer to set off the holes..

Ill have to get you guys a picture with like a pop can in it to put those backer plates in perspective.. i went in to a truck supply place looking for some clips.. and the guy couldn't believe how big the plate was its right at 19"OD

Nice work CORPO. I like your Dad's 57 also.

Thanks gas, my dad has asked me a few times about if anyone commented on his 57.. i kept having to tell him.. sorry dad.. they must think it is too shinny and nice.. haha..

That's not cheating, that's making & using a tool!

Thats true.. !

Thanks again guys!

Nothing too exciting to report.. but thought i would share a pic with you guys anyway.. put a can in there for size reference..

RebuiltBrake.jpg

Man i am getting way up here on pages for this build.. lot to come still

Last edited:
So were u able to get yur frame out of storage yet??
Can't wait to see what u bring to tha table next!!!
What's tha next step to work on?

sorry i didn't reply to u.. didn't see you commented..

Nope shes still in storage.. did go down there like 2 weeks ago and took the front axle off.. i am currently rebuilding that.. new kingpins were ordered yesterday.. its torn down completely and i drilled the axle.. i put 17-3/4" holes in it.. but am still thinking about going to 1" holes not sure if i am satisfied yet. But at the same time i cant get myself to commit and drill them bigger cause it was a nightmare drilling the holes with my crappy old bench top drill press...

I dont know how thick the "normal" 1/2 ton truck and car I beam axles are but mine flared out to about 1 3/8" thick as it nears the wheels.. this is why I cant get myself to go larger.. it took me literary all day to drill as it is..

I am also working on a disk brake conversion for the front as well.. ( they dnt make kits for my axle) so far so good.. i stuck around late at work one night to hop on the lathe in our tool room.. machined the rotors so that they fit on my hubs..

caliper brackets are next.. once i get the new kingpins in.. and the axle reassembled..

I got some pics .. ill post them up tomorrow.. maybe you guys can give me ur opinions on drilling my axle

[;) Bringing this one back to the top.:D

UPDATES!!!!!![P

Thanks pookies.. someone has got to keep me motivated

Pictures as promised.. not much to look at..

Heres the axle.. the shadows in the pictures make the holes look like they are off.. i assure you that they are not..
Drilledaxle.jpg

here are a few shots of the disk conversion in progress... to make the escalade rotor fit i had to open the bore on the disk from 3.125" to 3.80" the bolt pattern lines up with the original pattern that was on the drum.. the plan is to reverse the studs that mounted the drum and bolt the rotor on. (the hub is splined for the studs) I am going to use 3 tapered lug nuts to assure perfect centering of the rotor.. and then 3 nuts with lock washers.. (6 lug pattern)

still have to clean up and paint the hubs before assembling the rotor to the hub...

brakesside.jpg

Brakestop.jpg

King pins came in today.. so next on the agenda is to put the axle back together and fab up some caliper brackets.. i still need to decide if i want the calipers to the front or to the back.. im thinking to the back

Last edited:
Need some input guys.. going to buy the calipers tomorrow.. there are two styles i can get.. that came on different packages of the escalade..

Option 1.. one huge single piston calipesr.. its around 1.6"

Option 2.. two smaller dual piston calipers.. i think they are 1.125" pistons..

Im thinking option 2.. any one have any input???

Need some input guys.. going to buy the calipers tomorrow.. there are two styles i can get.. that came on different packages of the escalade..

Option 1.. one huge single piston calipesr.. its around 1.6"

Option 2.. two smaller dual piston calipers.. i think they are 1.125" pistons..

Im thinking option 2.. any one have any input???
Option 2 [cl

massive calipers.. ended up with the dual piston set up from a Police addition Tahoe, they were more than I wanted to spend but I figured I shouldnt skimp on the brakes..
Calipershot1.jpg

Calipershot2.jpg

Next ... brackets..

I also pressed in the new bronze bushings into the spindles.. im going to ream them tomorrow

Latest posts

Back