1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Complicated Cowl steering...

Well made a little progress...

My cowl steering came from these goals...
1. use the original box cause it was free...
2. keep the box as out of the way as possible
3. i wanted my steering wheel in a certain location (be able to use the big ol wheel)
4. make it cheep

Unfortunately these design criteria didnt lend themselves to an easy solution...

I determined that the location I need to put the box and where the wheel needed to go wouldnt allow me to use steering joints due to the high angels that would have been needed.. I may have been able to go with the extra high angle steering joints but the cheepest I found those were 115 each... and I would have needed 2

So heres where I ended up, and as I review these pictures it occurs to me, you cant really see the box, but it is mounted up against corner of the cowl...

Cost $0.0 I had all the parts laying around from a project I did in school a few years ago...

9677341f.jpg

4946080f.jpg

2e632f98.jpg

I built a bunch of structure in there to hold it all up, being that it is a safety critical item I went with double sprockets and 2 #50 roller chains...

I have a little tweaking to do but it works well, next is to build the steering arm and drag link....

thanks everyone for the kind words..

mocked up the drag link tonight and was pleasantly surprised that I don't have clearance issues with the tire diameter. (I was concerned with left turns)... I am toying with the idea of using the old ball and socket ends from the original drag link.. but think it will probably be easier in the long run to just get a couple of 5/8" heim joints...

That Cowl Steering looks Familiar!! :)
Love how Clean all yur Work is.... Bed looks proportional to tha rest of Truck...
U got me wanting to Build a Dually Now!!
Hope Yur Enjoying yur Build!! Wish we lived closer so I could see this in Person!!
Keep up yur Hard Work Corpo!! By Far tha best Build Thread on this Whole Site!!!

Thanks snake farm!

That Cowl Steering looks Familiar!! :)
Love how Clean all yur Work is.... Bed looks proportional to tha rest of Truck...
U got me wanting to Build a Dually Now!!
Hope Yur Enjoying yur Build!! Wish we lived closer so I could see this in Person!!
Keep up yur Hard Work Corpo!! By Far tha best Build Thread on this Whole Site!!!

Yeah I know you got a chain on yours too.. is yours set up the same way.. ? What size chain did you run..? I feel like mine is over kill with the dual #50's but I figured I didn't want to loose my steering while ripping down the road...

Thanks I messed with the bed layout for a long time... haha do it! there are a few of them running around. Have yet to see one like what I am hoping mine turns out like.. but it doesn't really matter if there is one..

At times i hate it.. but most of the time i enjoy it... but what keeps me going is how much I will enjoy it when its done.. although at that time it will be time to start another.. But next build I will get more space and more tools first

You never know man.. my girl wants to go to viva las Vegas.. when I'm done.. we will see about that.. its got to be at least a 24 hour drive from here... i would really need to trust the truck for that..

thanks man..! I must have you fooled!

The steering might have been over kill in a regular rod. but in yours it fits perfectly with the over sized wheels etc. good job![P

Another amazing build. Every time I come to this forum I end up being blown away with all the talent here.Watching you guys fabricate and put these rods together really keeps me motivated for mine. It won't be long and I will get started.

Thanks Jrotten for the kid words

Eman you are more than welcome to go for a ride when ever it's done... Don't think you will be able to see much of the sprockets though I stated fitting the dash back in...

finally a little bit of progress...

I got the dash pieced back together.. i think I made like 17 pieces to get it to fit back in.. I also got the cowl vent back in.. some genius put a steel bar across the cowl right where the handle needed to be.. so the I had to modify the handle...

426963cc.jpg

another mod I had to do was split the gauges apart so that the steering column could come up through the dash... this picture doesnt really explain what I am talking about.. who took this terrible photo... oh wait that was me...

36bf5ae5.jpg

Headers and steering...

I thought to myself.. man building these headers is going to be fun.. haha.. nope.. took me all day still need to finish welding them up but all and all I like the result.. I made the cones awhile back by removing a triangle cut from a piece of 4" tubing.. the rest I made today, it was very tricky getting all the cuts right..

anyway... Header cost $0.0.. except for my time which was all day..

I have a set of turn downs that were given to me.. not sure on those yet...
b2cb243b.jpg

de4d4da7.jpg

Man my engine is filthy... aerial view
e01d36a9.jpg

You can see the side shot of the steering arm
3b293c4e.jpg

Latest posts

Back