1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin Good, Bro!! I can't wait to get started my '37. I scored a good Jaguar V12 a couple months ago. I know it's a bit outta the ordinary but hey, gotta use what I have. Can't afford what I want...

corpo.

i was looking at my 41 1.5ton yester day. i was wondering did yours come with wheel spacers that went from a small bolt pattern to the larger 5f -10r lug pattern? also did you happen to measure them to see what the bolt pattern was? only reason im asking is, the work you did to get the rear end together (which was awesome) would a newer rear end have the same lug pattern and just put the spacers on to adapt the big wheels to it?

corpo.

i was looking at my 41 1.5ton yester day. i was wondering did yours come with wheel spacers that went from a small bolt pattern to the larger 5f -10r lug pattern? also did you happen to measure them to see what the bolt pattern was? only reason im asking is, the work you did to get the rear end together (which was awesome) would a newer rear end have the same lug pattern and just put the spacers on to adapt the big wheels to it?

Well...

I would assume you could get wheel adapters made for any pattern... there are a few places that make wheel adapters. I know there was a place that was making an adapter to take the old 5/10 chevy lug to a modern semi truck wheel pattern, but that wont help with the rear end situation. As far as i know, no one is making an off the shelf item to take a modern pattern and adapt it to the old rims.

There was a truck at the pile up last year that had old big ford 1.5 ton single rims on the back, but i think he may have re-drilled the rims.. cant recall

I thought about making adapters, but the way I saw it... the donor rear end was wide and then if i added spacers it would have made it even wider. I really wanted to keep it as narrow as reasonably possible to keep it from being a pain to drive. By doing it the way i did, I ended up at 80" wide at the widest bulge of the tires. 80" wide is narrower than the original set up and narrower than my donor axle was..This will eventually go down to probably 78" wide when I get the new narrower tires. If I could find a set of the rims like the fronts on my truck(the proper ones) it would probably take it down another 2"

Im rambling.. hopefully i answered your question in there somewhere

have you thought of cutting and narrowing the rear? I can't remember but I thought you had a full flouting rear. it would be as simple as sotening the tubes and the have someone cut and re-spline your axles. All of the bearings and brake mounts stay with the outer stub/spindle. just a thought

have you thought of cutting and narrowing the rear? I can't remember but I thought you had a full flouting rear. it would be as simple as sotening the tubes and the have someone cut and re-spline your axles. All of the bearings and brake mounts stay with the outer stub/spindle. just a thought

It is narrowed... the hub of the old axle sticks out further from the wheel mounting surface, therefore when I welded it back together it was effectively narrowed by about 6" I would have gone a hair more narrower but the shortening re splining was not in the budget.. which was zero.. haha

:D I'm gonna need an update on this project here, Mister.......:D

Oh is that so? Dont recall seeing any pookie bro updates latly...

I Boxed the front of the frame rails so I could make my engine mounts, I also threw a piece of square tubing in between the upper and lower C of the box where the engine mount was going for a little added support... then boxed it all up.

My girlfriend wanted to help so she designed the gussets, kinda a scroll work looking piece.. like a fancy shelf bracket or something.. Picture didnt come out to great, it comes to a point before it curves back in at the bottom, I like it.. definitely different than i would have thought to do it...

EngineMount.jpg

I also decided not to trim the bottom edge where the frame curves back in, I decided i like how it looks

and heres a few shots of the engine in, felt good to get it in. I proably could have gone a little bit higher, but i wanted to keep it nice an low through the cab...
FrontViewengine.jpg

TruckwithEng2.jpg

man the reflection on those almost make the roof look caved in.. ha.. i assure you its not..

2 more
Topview.jpg

SideViewengine.jpg

next on the agenda is drive shaft and floor, and grill shell/radiator.. the grill shell radiator is going to be tricky..

I told you pookies that I would more than gladly install a generously donated turbo diesel from you guys.. :D

WOW! 38 pages...this is a very awesome project...I am very jealous that you have access to a plasma cutter...I will follow with great interest, you have very nice skills and are a true craftsman[P[P

Man that loooks great CORPO, have to agree on the miacle gro tho. Just curious have you thought about reversing those front wheels?

It is what it is... Free engine helps with the budget... So I can't complain

Why would you want me to reverse the front wheels? If I did I'm pretty sure the front would be wider than the rear

WOW! 38 pages...this is a very awesome project...I am very jealous that you have access to a plasma cutter...I will follow with great interest, you have very nice skills and are a true craftsman[P[P

Thanks man... There is still a bunch of pages to go before it's road worthy

Latest posts

Back