1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to run a two bbl carb you could get an old style intake with the breather in it. Can't wait to see more, looks great!!!

I was thinkin about the old intake... my pops has 2 of them... not sure which way i will go.. i have an idea for a couple of cool little breathers that would just be another interesting little detail.. i think

Coming along nicely. Good to see the progress. Still one of my favorite builds.

thanks truckster, hows yours coming along?

just an FYI, those valve covers bring good cash to a collector.....

Yeah they might, they were given to me under the condition that I use them...

thanks truckster, hows yours coming along?

Not much this summer since the front suspension. Heat has taken it out of me this year. Put new seals on the Rockwell rear, and reworked the rear four link to get better angles (parallel) on the frame attachments.

Fall has arrived though and feeling like getting after it again. Keep up the good work on yours. Looks great! Love it!

Iron skillet

Put an old iron skillet on that air cleaner and call it good.:D

Attachments

• Valvecoversinplace.jpg
    Valvecoversinplace.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 100
well... not a whole lot been going on... but.. I have built the entire floor structure... which I have no goo pictures of Ill have to try and snap a few, I ended up raising the floor 3 inches to get some decent foot space..

Also, change of plans on the gas tank, The rivited tank will wait for a new project... I picked up this tank at the Hunnert car pile up swap, i looked at it and knew it was the shape and size I needed.. In fact my frame is 36 inches wide and so is the tank.. it was meant to be...

The tank needs some work, theres some sketchy old repairs on the bottom, a few dents, and the filler neck needs to go.. I have the orgonal filler neck from my truck which i think will work great... if any one has any ideas about the origins of the tank.. let me know.. my best guess would be some sort of equipment...

general placement
mockup.jpg

brackets...
Bracket1.jpg

bracketfit.jpg

heres the first one in place.. all that work drilling holes.. and you can barly see it.. but i know its there.. I will add gussets (with holes) between the tube and the brackets...
inplace.jpg

Oh and according to my calculations its 17 gallons.. And i think I have finally tracked down a bed! no tailgate though...

Little to report.. here are some shots of the structure i put in for the floor... dont laugh to hard at my mock up drive shaft
Floorstructure1.jpg

Fronthoop1.jpg

Heres a shot of the bracing I did to the rear wall, this tubing is super thin.. think its 20ga... you can see the rear hoop in this shot too
Wallbraces.jpg

mock up of the seat in place.... seat will be like 4-5" off the floor...
Seatmockup.jpg

I still need to remove some structure I put in the floor way back when I was changing the floor out... anyway there are 3 hoops.. being that i dont have a tube bender I pie cut them and welded them back up, they turned out pretty even...

thanks, everyone... I added the gussets tonight.. with more HOLES!... for some reason didnt snap any pics though

Also lobbed off that filler neck.. it was driving me nuts.. now I have to fill that hole.. and the two I cut in the bottom of the tank where there was some serous damage from who knows what...

Little update, Picked up a bed this weekend How come I always end up buying items that were not so accurately described???? (I must be a sucker) I was told there was a little rot but that there was plenty of steel to work with...

Heres what I ended up with.. two bedsides pretty rough, except for the top edges (no dents or rot) front pockets are pretty solid, rear pockets are a mess as you can see. Front bed panel same story good probably 6" missing from the bottom, Rear bed tie piece (have no idea what it is called) is shot .. and no tail gate.. that much I did know before heading out on my 2.5 hour trek to pick this up.. I though about not taking it but decided just to grab it anyway...

This was the side in better shape

Bedsides.jpg

anyway i drilled the spot welds and removed the pockets and cut the top edges off 2" below the bends.. heres a few shots of the mock up. I am going to have to extend the sides and the pockets (probably will curve them back inward)

Rearcloseupandtank.jpg

FrontProfileShot.jpg

ProfileRearshot.jpg

got my work cut out for me.. need to pick up a sheet of 16 gage.. in all honesty the only difficult parts will be rebuilding the pockets, however I will simplify that a little by narrowing all the flanges so that they are maybe .5-.75in wide.. right now they are 2"

Its starting to really look like a truck now!

Just a suggestion, try raising up just a little higher. To me, it looks like it might look good even with the bottom of the side windows.

Thanks everyone.. always appreciate the support...

Per flippers request...

Heres 1 in up
1inup.jpg

heres 2 in up
2inup.jpg

these are in comparison to the original location which I have deemed as 0 since it cant go any lower...

My only concern with going higher with the bed sides is making them look too deep and over power the cab, if that makes any since... If I go with them in these up positions, i may cut the bed sides upward behind the wheel so that it wont look too deep from behind..

any thoughts... or suggestions are always welcome.. Im kinda thinkin I like the 1 in up the body line flows into the bedside... keeps a line across for the eye...
thanks again guys

:cool:
Thanks everyone.. always appreciate the support...

Per flippers request...

Heres 1 in up
1inup.jpg

heres 2 in up
2inup.jpg

these are in comparison to the original location which I have deemed as 0 since it cant go any lower...

My only concern with going higher with the bed sides is making them look too deep and over power the cab, if that makes any since... If I go with them in these up positions, i may cut the bed sides upward behind the wheel so that it wont look too deep from behind..

any thoughts... or suggestions are always welcome.. Im kinda thinkin I like the 1 in up the body line flows into the bedside... keeps a line across for the eye...
thanks again guys
I like the 1st picture, really like the tires being at or above the bedside.

Latest posts

Back