1936 DiamondT meets 1978 Dodge motorhome

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
front spring

thank you for your input on all this. I am very appreciative of the advice. I am going to fabricate some brackets and run a 1.75 wide spring on the front. I think if I have a 2000lb spring It'll be lots of strength for the vehicle.
I'm ready to get going. I'll pick up a welder from my dad this weekend and start cutting and welding the frame. Yeeehaa:eek:

Yeah, that mack grill is awesome.. If you have any doubts on your spring setup, go dig around in the build section..there are lots of builds using similiar front axles..

Tim

roof straightening?

I started work on the roof. Hydraulics make it a bit easier for the big stuff. But I have a lot to learn on the littler stuff. borrowed a bunch of tools from my dad. Progress., but long way to go.

Attachments

• DSCI0744.jpg
    DSCI0744.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCI0745.jpg
    DSCI0745.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCI0743.jpg
    DSCI0743.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 110
quarter elliptical springs?

I decided to try cutting the springs with a chop saw. I don't think they got too hot, so the spring steel should be ok right? took a lot of time, but I used the original springs from the front end of the motorhome. They are 3" wide and I was able to harvest two brackets from the front and can use them to hold the springs in place. I found some massive u bolts on line for $30 a pair to hold them on. they're 3/4" bolt stock, 4 inches wide, and 10 inches long.
They should be plenty strong to hold everything in place. I'm thinking two on each side. thoughts? is this safe? I'm thinking no shocks.

Attachments

• DSCI0747.jpg
    DSCI0747.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
batwings are nearly done

I have the batwings nearly done. I have to drill a couple holes for the springs, and a couple for the radius rods. Then weld it together. and figure out the shocks. I'm thinking some sort of friction shocks?

This was my absolute first attempt at using a cutting torch and fabrication, so be gentle. I'm not going for pretty, just safe and functional.

Attachments

• HPIM0874.jpg
    HPIM0874.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 118
  • HPIM0873.jpg
    HPIM0873.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 116
  • HPIM0875.jpg
    HPIM0875.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 107
You have to start somewhere, right?(I haven`t yet...) I like the build, so keep the pics coming. I`d hate to never see this hit the road!

-Johnson

front suspension assembled

I finally got some work done on the front end. Got the batwings put together and the radius rods put on. had to fab some brackets for the radius rod bracket/ubolt bottom plate. it seems to be functional, i lowered it down and it seems to sit right where I was shooting for.

Attachments

• DSCI0777.jpg
    DSCI0777.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCI0778.jpg
    DSCI0778.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCI0776.jpg
    DSCI0776.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCI0775.jpg
    DSCI0775.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 181
Really nice build idea! I am looking forward to seeing this one as you make progress. [P

I have been wondering how to get a four link mounted on a similar axle set up. I've seen a couple of cars set up the way your going, and it sure is simple. Might be a good option when I start to build.

I have a few questions for anyone who can help out.

How do you determine the length of the radius rod in relation to the spring length?

On a quarter elliptical set up like this one, is the radius rod in compression or tension at all during suspension cycling?

Can anyone show me a transverse leaf set up mounted to a similar axle? I really like the look of the transverse leaf, and a four link, but want to use a axle similar to Meteorman's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gold03

Really nice build idea! I am looking forward to seeing this one as you make progress. [P

I have been wondering how to get a four link mounted on a similar axle set up. I've seen a couple of cars set up the way your going, and it sure is simple. Might be a good option when I start to build.

I have a few questions for anyone who can help out.

How do you determine the length of the radius rod in relation to the spring length?

On a quarter elliptical set up like this one, is the radius rod in compression or tension at all during suspension cycling?

Can anyone show me a transverse leaf set up mounted to a similar axle? I really like the look of the transverse leaf, and a four link, but want to use a axle similar to Meteorman's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gold03

I just made the length of the radius rod so that the axle would be straight up and down. they are adjustable somewhat, you can thread in or out about 1/2" or more? I forget, it says on speedway's website. the radius rod would be in compression when the vehicle is moving down, and would move the axle angle out to the front at the base. (if that makes sense)? right? My springs are very stiff for what I've got, and I don't anticipate there will be much movement. just a stiff ride.
anyone that knows more, please jump in. I'm just gleaning what I can from you all. input is much appreciated.

Frame

I finally have some progress to document. I built a new frame section for the cab (it's 2" x 4" even though it may look smaller in the pics- my motorhome frame is 3x7"), it drops right down behind the engine and back up behind the cab. the wheelbase is 142". I removed 5 leaves from the rear springs and moved the front bracket 4" higher, effectively lowering the rear section of the frame by about 8" or so. Next step is to join the center section of the frame to the rear.

Attachments

• HPIM0917.jpg
    HPIM0917.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 134
  • HPIM0918.jpg
    HPIM0918.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 137
  • HPIM0921.jpg
    HPIM0921.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 135
  • HPIM0922.jpg
    HPIM0922.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 125
  • HPIM0920.jpg
    HPIM0920.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 136
  • HPIM0919.jpg
    HPIM0919.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 127
  • HPIM0916.jpg
    HPIM0916.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 132
looks good. but i have a question.

your frame is on the ground, your suspension is loaded front and rear with weight. how is it going to get off of the ground?

frame to ground height

looks good. but i have a question.

your frame is on the ground, your suspension is loaded front and rear with weight. how is it going to get off of the ground?

The frame is actually sitting on some wooden blocks, it has about 3" clearance. I plan to have it run pretty low. I'm going to set the cab on and trim off the bottom of the cab, it's channeled a bit already with the stock cab. My frame rails aren't as tall as the stock frame, so I'll cut about 5" off the bottom of the cab and have it flush with the bottom of the frame rail.

questions and criticism welcomed. countin on it, actually

cool, i didnt see that till you pointed it out

Deerchopper, Thank you for the question. I am welcoming any feedback, concerns, questions. I am new to this whole scene of building vehicles- so I'm very dependent on this community to give me constructive criticism and feedback/questions to help me process this build. I'm learning LOTS along the way and having fun doing it.
thanks

Latest posts

Back