1936 Dodge Pkup....soon ta be RatRod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man if I was close!!! Im a "tote that. lift that, hand me that" kinda dude! I would just to get the hands on and eyes over my shoulder that I need for my own! What better way to learn than from a confirmed builder workin on his own?

Ive got a "list" of "hey man call me's" but am quite sure that when hammer meets steel that list will whistle like the trees in a west Texas wind...LOL

Slinger,

How close are you to the Dallas/Ft Worth area? I've got a friend in that area that just does old Mopar Muscle, and I'm sure he could hook you up with a big block. If you get really desparate, LMK, I think I've still got a couple low mileage 413's laying around over here (near Detroit).

Bruce

Update

Well here I sit.

Cab is off the frame and it looks GREAT. Still havent gotten the frame steel....damn texas weather has suckd up my funds...lol

I have the rearend and the headlights... need rings for em tho...hmmm....

Working on the design of the frame...afraid I am in over my head...not sure EXACTLY how long it needs to be an the angle of the dangle on the matriculated thingamabobber is a biotch to figger out...anywhooooooo...

Still cant find a engine tranny set...the old 440 is a booger to find huh? I will struggle on... Had some goober try an sell me a 400 for 300bucks THEN he says "well you SHOULD put a HEMI in it boy! I got bout 4 of em out on the back fence." SO i ask him "Well what you take for one?!" and he says "OH thay aint fer SALE! I gonna get round ta fixn one of em up SOMEDAY..."
Old *******. Getn my hopes all UP and stuff...dang it.

Can someone tell me if I buy 2 x 3 3/16 rect tube in lengths of about 10 foot can I build a decent frame? I have sketched and scribbled an calculated an I think it will work... bout 108 inch wheel base. Still not sure of the angle of drop frome rearend clip to cab frame floor. Guessn mebe I need ta set the cab at ride height and measure wheel size and pretty much dummy it up?

Had a keg for a fuel cell and some goob stole it from my carport...I bought a killer voodoo doll and have been jammin needles and nails in it...hope he is in a butt load of pain....

Can I stick weld the frame????? I mean if I KNEW how to stick weld.... How hard CAN it be? I mean really... im no dummy...mebe I can do it if I take my time.

Found a really cool seller on ebay who has all the mounts and weld ons I will need for the frame.

AM I rambling? Yep purty much. Sorry.

Pics soon and dont expect much but Im gettin er dun...slowly.
Thanks all
Rebel

That was indeed ...CRAZY!..I hope your Voodoo dolls works, nothin worse than a thief!!.Hang in there guy, I'm pretty sure it'll all come together for ya!.:D..CR

Last edited:
10 ft chunks of 3x2 should be good. At 108"wb are you going to need a straight section of rail longer than 120"?

Use some 2x4 for a mock up frame to get your dimensions correct.

You might wanna consider doing your frame like I did. Get it all cut and tacked together yourself and have a welder buddy with a Arc or 220 MIG welder come in and do some good SAFE welds on the critical frame joints. A from scratch frame might be welded up in maybe a day. An offering of beer or 100$ might find ya a friend.

just under 50 miles northwest of FtWorth....Boyd.

Hey Ink, I'm east of you in Wylie. If it wasn't so far I'd lend you a hand. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I know an extra pair of hands can be, uhhh, handy sometimes. [cl

In fact, if you get desperate shoot me a PM or email sometime and if I can get away one Saturday or something and help you I will. Same goes for anyone else in the the Dallas metroplex who may need a hand.

Until I acquire my own project helping out others could be good experience for me. ;)

Fred B.

Good luck with the build. Its a long road but well worth it. I bet if i added all the "Lookin and Thinkin Time" versus "Cuttin Grindin,Weldin Time" the lookin and thinkin would win by a long shot.Again Good Luck

Progress

Well it aint much but I am making some progress. Found a buddy with an old WinBago sitn an fallin apart...it so happens to have a 440 and a 727 tranny in it! WooHoo! Took a look an it seems all well. 60k on the speedo and oils looked as they should. A plus I suppose is the Holley Carb sittn on top? Thought most all the Bagos came wit Rochesters. Oh well. 500 for the whole shebang not bad I think.

Lookin for tires and some rims for the back. Standard deep dish rims on the rear. Wanna put some meats on the back. N5015s??? More gathering parts now than actual work but I figure it will help in the long run.

Went wondering thru an old junkyard...made me slobber!!! Took a couple pics. I try an post em now.

I like the idea of fabbing up the frame wit 2x4s. Thanks!

Stuff from my junkyard tresspass...lol

Attachments

• junkyard 1.jpg
    junkyard 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 37
  • junkyard 2.jpg
    junkyard 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 36
  • junkyard 3.jpg
    junkyard 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
  • junkyard 4.jpg
    junkyard 4.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 35
  • junkyard 5.jpg
    junkyard 5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
Glad to see you are jumping in with both feet, you will find it fun, a pain in the rear, exciting, frustrating, lost, broke, ---- then it will all come together, and you built it - - kinda cool to build a car yourself - - beats buying one. Dont worry about making mistakes, you will make em, then fix em, and make more, you will also have the benifit of learning alot of new and interesting things, bump up your fabing skills, trading skills, maybe even end up with alot of new and fun tools to play with by the time you are done. Good luck with your project!

Well I found the style fenders I want on the rear and a bed attached top em! WooHoo! 1954 International Pick up bed. It has the original suspension under it and it has overload springs....something like 15 leafs per side in two clusters. The original rearend under it seems intact...maybe I try and sell it?

Bought two eagle Race Slicks. Minor things like steering wheel and a few odds and ends...ever notice how odds and ends eat up your paycheck???? hmmmm....there is a lesson there Im thinkin.....nah.

My plan changes constantly...now Im at a 112.5 inch wheelbase. I have been talking with my brother (read ARGUING) that the idea i have to build the frame in a right angle drop down from the rear end portion to the cab portion as opposed to an angle in a lesser/greater degree. I am of the mind that if the frame is welded together in 90 degrees angle it will be stronger but he says the other is better?????? Did that make ANY sense??? HELP!!!!

I checked the width of the front axle from centerline of king pin to CL of king pin I show 50 inches. and the king pins seem to be 7/8. Anyone know if a ford spindle will match this king pin? or should I get a tube axle that is 47 or 48 inches?

MAJOR UPDATE!!!!!! My voodoo thing WORKED!!!! My keg showed back up in the bed of my work truck after one weekend!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Vega steering box right????

Pics coming now.
Thanks ALL of ya!!!

My 54 bed

This is the 1954 Peanut Picker bed....not too bad for a couple hundred .....right?

Attachments

• Rat Bed.jpg
    Rat Bed.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back