1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll stick a toe in the water here.
Ya know there's always one student in the class that has to ask the dumb questions :(
Are you going this route to have something to do since the body work won't be until spring and you're not ready to migrate south yet or, is there a plan as to why you're doing this twice :confused:

Oh yea, what part of wiring require a torch :)

My guess is that on the initial wiring, he's putting the harnesses together, so when he comes back after body work, he'll just be dropping in the harnesses he built, not doing a scratch wiring job.

-Chaz

OK, I'll stick a toe in the water here.
Ya know there's always one student in the class that has to ask the dumb questions :(
Are you going this route to have something to do since the body work won't be until spring and you're not ready to migrate south yet or, is there a plan as to why you're doing this twice :confused:

Oh yea, what part of wiring require a torch :)
attachment.php

Yeah, it's basically to keep moving forward on something while avoiding getting into the bondo - errr, I mean - body work till I get back from my winter tanning session. Also a matter of dealing with the weather (snow) and the resulting reduced garage space - in the spring I can put up my temp storage garage and move the chassis back out side while the dust flies from body work.
The torch is for soldering connections ( soldering gun is sooo slow) and making quick work of shrink tubing. Also, despite doing some work twice, this gives me a chance to work out wire routing issues and other bugs so as not to be figuring this stuff out after it is painted. (the first scratch is the worst one...)
A few more days work and I'll light the fire in the 'ol Rat motor - gotta test those lake pipes out. :)

Attachments

• DSC00549.jpg
    DSC00549.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 47
It truly is amazing how much you get done in a short time. And the quality of the work. Been away to long and had to go through a lot to catch up but WOW it is looking great! Another beautiful creation. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

It doesn't look dramatically different but today I got it fired up and did the cam break-in run. :D
Naturally there were some gremlins to run down and exorcise, water leaks, wiring boo boo's, etc. but overall it went well, kept its cool. See the big patch of absorbent stuff under the car? I got excited having it running and lost count of how many litres of tranny fluid I'd poured in and overfilled it :( after which it let me know by barfing up the excess...
I was almost having second thoughts about the decision to use a Comp Cams Thumper cam in an otherwise relatively mild engine but after listening to the ridiculously lumpy idle for like half a minute, I'm hooked :cool:. I have the electric cutouts wired and functioning and the lake pipes sound awesome.
With a seat, steering wheel and stop and go pedals installed, you just know what's going to happen next :D

Attachments

• DSC00551.jpg
    DSC00551.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00552.jpg
    DSC00552.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00554.jpg
    DSC00554.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00556.jpg
    DSC00556.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 79
Congrats on the start up! Now we need some video so we can hear those pipes! Those Thumper Cams make ya wanna giggle don't they. :D

[P[P[P

Yep, something about that lumpy cammed idle just gets me every time :). Hooray for overkill ! Here's some outside pics, I took a couple short vids but have no idea how to post them here.

Attachments

• DSC00557.jpg
    DSC00557.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00560.jpg
    DSC00560.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00563.jpg
    DSC00563.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00564.jpg
    DSC00564.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 142
Yep, something about that lumpy cammed idle just gets me every time :). Hooray for overkill ! Here's some outside pics, I took a couple short vids but have no idea how to post them here.

Just keeps getting better as parts go back on. :)

You can post videos to Youtube and link from here. If you want to, that is.

looks like it was a chilly ride with out the glass and doors!

sweet custom gas tank!

Latest posts

Back