1937 GMC 1/2 ton rat pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IAM-LDS-2 is right if you get a flat tire or one of your front wheels drops into a hole your not going to be happy when your frame hits the ground! This is not safe for you or anyone else on the road! for safety please make some changes to your frame.

The guys are right. You worked hard to get the project to this stage. It tough doing things over, but this one isn't to bad. Set the frame on Stands under the cab and at the back end. Z the frame some where in front of the cab to raise the frame. You will need to redo your suicide mount. I would remove the rectangular tubing and go with round. It's stronger and looks better.

I redid the whole back half on mine. Took two days but needed to be done.

Other guys might have some ideas on how to fix the scrub line. I hope they will kick in here.

Hey all, thanks for the input I appreciate the concern. I forgot to mention that the end of those frame rails will be chopped off flush with the front crossmember, I just haven't got around to it. Also, I will be using a different front leaf that has a bit more arc and once it's under load the front sits about dead even with the bottom of the rims. Should that be okay?

It will make an improvement for sure. you want to be able to blow a tire, and not have the frame come in contact with the ground.

This is how I measure scrub line.
1324601800.jpg

Why? Because I figure the odds are very low that I will get 2 front flats at the same time. But I also figure you should give yourself at least an extra inch because of dynamic spring deflection.

If you go rim to rim for scrub line, I don't see much reason for that extra cushion.

If I ever do have a flat or a bag blow out (my Olds lays frame), that causes frame dig, I may have a change of opinion. ....if I survive.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I will make sure to take care of this. I pick up the cam tomorrow and will then drop it off at the mechanics. Hopefully we can get the flathead running in the next few weeks.

Just finishing buttoning up the flathead. I'm getting ready to start thinking about shifter options, does Lokar or anyone else make a floor shifter than can be easily modified to fit the 47' Hydra-matic? Or should I just start from scratch.

Lch9Xnz.jpg

cn4KdOH.jpg

Latest posts

Back