1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlySanded004.jpg

It looks quite a bit darker under different light conditions.
Sam, my dogs go crazy when they see the brown (UPS) truck so that theme is out.

Still need glass and a few other details to finish. But, I'll probably put it in storage pretty soon and finish it in the spring. Other, more exciting projects are calling...

Thanks for the great build up thread bob.. great way to spend the friday afternoon at work! I'm sure the boss would disagree tho! LOL! [P

Looks great! Plan to paint the gate lettering?

(Most UPS drivers have a bag of doggy treats on their dash. Good for making friends ...and if you get hungry....:D)

FiatDoorGaps019.jpg

Crabby Dave from Apple Glass installed my windshield yesterday. Since I didn't have a decent frame we went with a glued-in, v-butted frameless installation. I know, I know, it looks pretty modern. But this is a driver/beater, not a show truck.

Crabby Dave bought my Model A tudoor that I had advertised on RRR & picked it up yesterday.

Thanks for the favorable comments Sam, Durty and Shea.

The windshield looks great Bob! [cl That's what I plan to do for a windshield and back glass on my Willys.........just glue them in against the lip and caulk around them with urethane.

I'd keep an eye out for something interesting you could use as a window frame. Either something flexible like bicycle chain (I said 'like') or a decorative mild steel. Something bronze would be perfect. Just me, but I always think that type of windshield looks unfinished on vintage stuff. But, as we say, it ain't mine.

FiatDoorGaps020.jpg

Sam, I do have the original windshield frame. The channel part where the glass sets is too rusted to save. I am planning to slice the back stuff off so I have just the face of the frame. Will treat it as a facia and see if it would look ok bonded over the glass. I was hoping the glass would sit deeper into the opening so my facia idea would look almost stock. We will see...

On second look, I'm not so sure I don't like it.... sometimes forming an opinion is hard!

BTW, what the heck are hanging from your mirror? Are those dice, or soccer balls, round panda bears, or what? [S

ModelAPics005.jpg

Doesn't everybody have "Cow" fuzzy dice??? They were given to me by a friend (???) because they matched the cow seatcovers in the Model A I just sold. The buyer, Crabby Dave didn't want them so I temporarily stashed them in the Plymmie. The cow seatcovers were a whimisical attempt to hide the "Grand Am-ness" of the seats in the Model A.

I love these old Plymouth trucks. Some parts are very hard to find though. It looks like your center stainless strip is bent up. Unless you or someone you know is good at restoring stainless, you might want to check out one that is currently for sale on e-bay. I have a few parts left over from street rodding my 41 PU, if you are interested.

Wow, I recall seeing this thread awhile back(the plaid discussion jogged my memory), but it is looking really good now! Have you had a chance to try out your heater yet?

-Jake

i was so far behind on this thread i didnt even know you had painted it!:eek:

i love the color, different but not too flashy.... the cow fuzzy dice however........:D

left_side_photoshopd1.jpg

The truck is stored for the winter. The last trip was to Kathy Weeks' house, sign painter extraordinaire, where I left the doors. They will be hand painted as shown above. If you look at my dragster build thread (a sticky) you will see why the truck is being letters as shown.

Johnson, the heater works good. No side glass yet so I don't have a final evaluation of it. I am going to try to seal the doors really well to prevent drafts. Old trucks are known for leaky doors and wind noise.

The truck looks great. I went back and through your thread as research for doing a mock-up on the Dodge I plan on building.

I missed where you added brake pedal and master cylinder. What did you use?

Flipper, the whole works is out of a Chevy Astro van. The little van. I was looking for a unit that sat level when bolted to the firewall. Lots of GM units sit at an angle when mounted on a horizontal firewall. Two things; it was a real pain removing it from the van and it is a bit bulky. Didn't cost much though.

Thanks for the kind remarks. And good luck with your Dodge project. That's after the speedster, right?

Flipper, the whole works is out of a Chevy Astro van. The little van. I was looking for a unit that sat level when bolted to the firewall. Lots of GM units sit at an angle when mounted on a horizontal firewall. Two things; it was a real pain removing it from the van and it is a bit bulky. Didn't cost much though.

Thanks for the kind remarks. And good luck with your Dodge project. That's after the speedster, right?

Got any pictures of the pedal unit? Sounds interesting. I didn't much care for making an angled kickout to use the s-10 pedal on my 48 chevy.

I think I'm going to mock up the Dodge so I can figure out what I want to do. I've owned it as a basket case for 5 year and never even put the big parts close to each other to really see what it will look like. I finally got the wheels that are going on it sorted out (lug nuts recessed for full thread engagement and shiney parts polished).

One of the tricks I'm contemplating is adding a dash top to the bottom of the dodge dash (turned updide down). Not sure what else will get done, but I'm in the mood to cut and weld on something. Rear fenders will probably be slid forward, but overall bed be same length.

Last edited:
PlyLettering001.jpg

Got my doors back, all lettered by Kathy Weeks. The art matches my dragster, as this is the tow vehicle for it. I'm very happy with the result.

Flipper, I don't have a pic of the pedal assembly & the truck is stored in a tight space for the winter. It looks a lot like most of the GM assembies.

I need help. Need to know what the window channel, probably a "U" shaped metal piece, looks like in the front of the door. Oddly, my truck, which was almost 100% complete didn't have anything in there.

Latest posts

Back