1946 car frame with a cab?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynnkc

Has anyone ever put a truck cab on 1941-1948 ford car frame? or any car frame from this era? I have an extra chassis and I really want a truck... Plus i just love the look of this frame with all the holes in the x brace. if so pics please.
thanks

I have the same doubt.
I have a 46 cab and have the opportunity to buy a 41 chassis to go with it.
Is it a simple adaptation or there are complications?

Has anyone ever put a truck cab on 1941-1948 ford car frame? or any car frame from this era? I have an extra chassis and I really want a truck... Plus i just love the look of this frame with all the holes in the x brace. if so pics please.
thanks

I have the same doubt.
I have a 46 cab and have the opportunity to buy a 41 chassis to go with it.
Is it a simple adaptation or there are complications?

Take a look at my build thread. It can be done. But........
1941 Ford chassis and running gear with a 1952 F-series cab.

Some things to consider. After the war Ford went to a Ladder style truck frame. Very flat rails with no Belly or drop to them. And no real kickup at the rear. And most importantly, No X-member. So the post war cab was designed to be used with the flatter style of frame. If you use a 41-48 Car frame with the 46 cab the floor will have to be modified for Clearence over the x-member.

If you use the 41-48 frame be aware that pre war cabs may be too narrow.

Then you will also have to deal with pedal placement. Steering column angle and all the rest.
Everyone lumps the Ford cars as a group into 1941-48. 1941 was a stand alone,transitional year car. Some elements are from 1939-40. And some foreshadow the intented but delayed due to the war 46-48.
See the pics below.
Hope this helped.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2043.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 26
Thank you Torchie!
Your build gave me a good idea of what I might be getting my self into.
But, since I was already considering channeling it, I think I'll take my chances and buy this frame.
If it's fits with minor mods, better, but if I need to go to a full channel, so be it.
Let's see where it goes...
Thanks again.

Thank you Torchie!
But, since I was already considering channeling it, I think I'll take my chances and buy this frame.
If it's fits with minor mods, better, but if I need to go to a full channel, so be it.
Thanks again.

Your welcome Riff Raff.
I Channeled mine about 6" or the height of the 41 frame.
The 1 pic shows the cab sitting more or less on top of the frame. And to even achieve that, the 2 pic shows where I had to cut the floor out for the x-member.
If you think about it the frame already has sort of a double Z to it:)
I had many visions of this build in my mind and at that point I was leaning towards a somewhat typical RR build.
But as you can see. Things changed.:eek:
Do a build thread so we can all follow along.
Torchie.

Thanks again Torchie!
If the deal with the frame goes through I will post pics of my vision, but it is a long term project, because I'm off to a rough path.
First, it's not easy (nor cheap) to find parts for a hot rod in Brazil.
Most off our old cars and trucks were either melted, gutted or rusted away on the tropical weather. And the ones that are left are very expensive...
My starting point was a frozen Merc Flathead, probably out of a 51 or 52 car (it has 8CM markings all over it - valve covers, intake, exhaust).
My cabin is in rough shape too, with lots of corrosion damage...
But I'm persistent (also known as dumb as a doorknob) and will not give up on my dream off having a hot rod (or rat rod, the definition is not important) with a Flathead engine.
By the way, your project is turning out great. Will be flowing.

Thank you Torchie!
Thanks again.

That's the spirt Riff Raff .... hack at it and if it still don't work hack it some more .... if it still don't work ..channel it ... Tourchie offers good , and knowledgeable , advise

Oldog

Latest posts

Back