1947-55 Truck Spindles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodSweat&Whiskey

Hard to believe but I can not find replacment spindles for a 47-55 Chevy truck axle. The threads have been damaged on mine. LMC, Brothers and the multitude of others only cary king pin kits. I am looking for old ones but found it hard to believe that no one makes a new one. Anybody have a source or suggestion?

BSW

Any way to repair the threads with a die?

Attachments

• kit1.jpg
    kit1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
Any way to repair the threads with a die?

Ain't nuthin can't be fixed. Maybe even helicoiled, or turned down and re taped?

Speedway deals in some chevy truck pieces. Check on the specialty sites--Stovebolt or Inliners iternational or Egge(or sumthin like that)

PA41

Problem is that it ran loose before I pruchased it so it wore down the shaft. I had the correct die and was able to fix it some. Ran the axle for 2 years now. The slight amount of extra play has slowly come back. No way to add material. Another trick is to add a washer to move back on fresh threads but this will end up being a losing battle at some point. Very suprised that no one makes an aftermarket spindle. I guess most switch to IFS.

BSW

Could it be welded up and turned back to the correct size? We have done hat with some 4 x 4 spindles.

I know welding it up is an option. I should have stated more of a timing and money decision. Several shows coming up and not much time. Was hoping to find a replacement and either swap a spindle. I may have a line a good axle that I would just swap in place of mine. If anybody else knows of a place or has one let me know.

BSW

...'48-'54 Chevy passenger car spindles will swap over to your truck axle, which will also give you a 5-lug set-up if you also use the passenger car hubs...

...'48-'54 Chevy passenger car spindles will swap over to your truck axle, which will also give you a 5-lug set-up if you also use the passenger car hubs...

That is good to know. Will the car spindle take the same hub as the truck? Would hate to have to buy new rims as well.

They won't work. They look identical but the king pin is on a different angle. They take the same king pins even. Also the backing plate bolt pattern is a little bit different, that can be changed.

RPM, are you sure?...I thought I had seen several of these change-overs before, primarily so the truck owner could use 5-lug wheels...is it just the passenger car hubs they are using on the truck spindles?

RPM, are you sure?...I thought I had seen several of these change-overs before, primarily so the truck owner could use 5-lug wheels...is it just the passenger car hubs they are using on the truck spindles?

Yep, RPM is right, car and truck spindles are different, but the 49 - 54 car HUBS do fit the truck spindles, done this several times to get 5 bolt on 55 -59 truck axles.

i know this post is a few months old but i thought i would share this email from a guy i know that builds straight axle gassers..this was done with truck axle and car spindles.

Hello ,in your build of your 56 chevy gasser you used a truck axle and car spindles, what king pins did you use car or truck..could you tell me everything about this set up..im doing a old school set up with car drum brakes..i have the truck axle and car spindles and drum brakes..

As far as kingpins go, if you use car spindles you use car kingpins and vice versa. The biggest thing is to make sure you are close to 8-10 degrees positive caster when you mount the springs, because unlike tube axles that you weld them where you want them, factory straight axle have to be set close when they are mounted. You can buy wedge spacers to make some adjustment after it''s in, but you don't want to add very many to correct a big change needed. Make sure you have the draglink as close to parallel as possible and use a SoCal steering stabilizer, they make a huge difference in handling minor issues with the front-end. Let me know if you have any other questions. Talk to you later.

heres the link to his build

http://www.gassersinc.com/members/jimcecil/my56/56gasser.htm

Latest posts

Back