1948 Dodge Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom@69

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. This is my'48 Dodge Rat rod. Its on a '88 S-10 frame. The rear end is a Ford 9 inch out of a 1973 Mercury with truck wheels from an '01 F-150 thanks to adapters. Engine and transmission is a junk yard 350/350 combo. Cab, motor, etc have been moved back a little over a foot from the original S-10 mountings. The cab is channeled over the frame (not really sure how much, just kept going till it looked right), then chopped 2 inches. Used a keg for a gas tank. I know its not very original anymore but its one of the things people comment about the most. Tail lights are '50 Pontiac and bed sides from a '40 Ford are soon going on. The grill is Allis Chalmers and the headlight buckets are '36 Ford. Because of limited frame mounting positions and space I decided to put the radiator in the back. I fabbed a large tunnel console that provides it with plenty of air. Its finally road worthy. Well lets not go that far. It CAN drive on the road and hasn't had any real troubles so far. Right now the whole point is getting it out on the road and working out any problems.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 001.jpg
    Rat Rod 001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Rat Rod 002.jpg
    Rat Rod 002.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Rat Rod 003.jpg
    Rat Rod 003.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Rat Rod 006.jpg
    Rat Rod 006.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Rat Rod 007.jpg
    Rat Rod 007.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 65
Jeez that's ugly! I think that's why i like it :) How would it be to have old weathered stakes on the bed when you get it on? I would like to see a picture of it with much bigger rims/tires on the back. Welcome to the board and thanks for the pix.

Last edited:
Just had an off the wall idea for those doors. How about reversing them so the bump out is facing the back? It'd look more 'aerodynamic' that way. Not sure where you'd go with it after that....

I figure you might be able to seperate window sections and reverse the lower doors - leave the hinges and you'd have suicides too. Just a passing thought.

It just seems if you do away with the bumps completely, it's going to look the same as the Fords and Chevys. As it is it's unique, be cool to do something with it.

Latest posts

Back