1949 Ford F-1 wheels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49FordF-1

Can someone please tell me what the correct wheel size is for a 1949 Ford F-1 (half ton) pickup? I am thinking they should be the 16 inch, 5.5 lug pattern, but I am not sure what the correct width is. I have seen some for sale here and there that are 16X4 but that sure seems narrow for a truck tire. I need 5 of these pretty darn quick and I need to know the correct size for a stock restoration. TIA!!

Thanks, Will
[email protected]

Fairly sure 16x4 was the stock size. Sometime in the 50's the switched to the 15" rim. Keep in mind tires/wheels were originally designed tall and narrow like a wooden wagon wheel - so they would sink down in mud to solid ground instead of floating on top. They slowly evolved to low and wide for traction on pavement.

16" would be stock

Can someone please tell me what the correct wheel size is for a 1949 Ford F-1 (half ton) pickup? I am thinking they should be the 16 inch, 5.5 lug pattern, but I am not sure what the correct width is. I have seen some for sale here and there that are 16X4 but that sure seems narrow for a truck tire. I need 5 of these pretty darn quick and I need to know the correct size for a stock restoration. TIA!!

Thanks, Will
[email protected]

both of my trucks had the stock 16" rims (rims still have tires on them so don't know the width) with 6.50x16 tires

Thanks folks for all your info/input. I got the answer I needed and was able to locate 5 wheels and they are resting comfortable in my garage. They seem to be enjoying thier new home and I could have sworn I saw a tear on one of them that was facing the truck.

Latest posts

Back