1949 Panel Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry481

UPSTATE NEW YORK, & SOMETIMES FLORIDA.......
Well you guys have helped me in the past, got a another question for ya:

Engine is a 348 w/ tri-power, radiator is the one that came from the 1949 panel , sorta nice all brass, and no leakseither. But it is only about a 6 quart radiator, will be running a electric fan smaller radiator also, for the auto tranny cooling.

I there a formula or a rule of thumb to what size radiator that should be used? Like ci. of the engine size to water capacity of the radiator? Or is bigger better???

I know that sometimes the old 348's would run hot, even if all is tuned right, or at least that has been my expericece............

Thanks,

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 21
Is it a 2, 3 or 4 core radiator ?
If it's a 3 or 4 core it should work just fine as long as the insides are clean (no build up of gunk.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you look in the neck after removing the cap and count from front to back ho many ports are in the radiator, mine are a flat ovalish shape, and i had three rows, so I am assuming mine is a three core.

If that radiator is in good condition you should have no problems cooling the V-8. Especially if you are running an electric fan. I have swithced over many 6 cylinder cars to V-8 and I always use the original radiator when I can.
And what you are counting is rows, not cores. As stated look down the neck and see how many upright tubes there are front to back. Most likely 2 rows but I tell you right now that the quality of that original rad is much better than most that you can buy now.
To get one that fit well when we built my 51 panel we had a custom made aluminum one made. Same exact size as the original but a 3 core. It was a great unit but it also cost about $1200.00:eek:
That was back when i had money.....

Latest posts

Back