1951 Chevrolet Styleline Chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattyhotrod51

Well, I finally got around to starting the 4'' Chop on my 51 Styleline about a week ago. Just so everything in one place here`s the car I started with.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 65
First, I built the cage for the chop[;). I "borrowed" the design from another 51 chop over at that other site. It`s holding so far.

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 51
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 42
Then Saturday of week before last I cut the window door frames That`s first step was fun!:eek: Then I skipped Sunday to let my heart get back to it`s normal rhythm. Then on monday I cut out the angles at the back of the rear quarter window.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 57
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 52
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 62
I cut out around the rear window leaving about a three inch section of metal for now. Then, I cut the A pillars then the B pillars.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 54
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 51
Then I noticed there was a inner structure in the B pillar that was nowhere around the outer "Skin" in some places. There was no way the weld was going to pentrate all the way in there. So after some thought I used some 1'' tape to mask off an area below the original chop line on the out side, Then taking a off wheel with a thin blade I cut off the outer skin (Had to drill some spot welds too) There`s still some on the inside. But there no way I can get a cut-off wheel in there without cutting off the inner structure too, and that would kinda defeat the purpose of trying to get back as much strength as I can back in the pillar. That`s about as far as I`ve got so far.
That`s doesn`t sound like a lot for as much as I feel like I`ve done this past week.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
That first cut is the hardest they say..I get a little anxious anytime I'm making a cut that can't be easily undone..looks good so far, good luck with it.

Any idea if that inner structure goes all the way to the roof? My 48 B had no inner like that - totally hollow, but also a lot bigger around.

Yeah, I think it runs the whole length of the B pillar. But I cut the outer skin off about an inch down from my chop line on both sections of posts lon the car and on the roof. I`m going to weld that up. Then, I`m going to cut the outer skin off the chunk I cut out for the chop Then, I`m going the use that piece to fil in the section that I cut out.....Sounds good in theory, hope it actually works. Wish mine would have been hollow, woulda saved a lot of work.

I`m waiting on some metal I ordered so I haven`t done much to it lately, suppose to get it tomorrow so maybe I can get back on it soon. :)

Here`s a few more pics of my Chop. The First is the inner structure of the B Piller and the second one, and I know I`m going to take heat for this, but the it`s where I`ve added a piece of metal to the roof to line things back up. I think I`ve cut the A Pillars too short. But I forgot to measure the Windshield opening so I don`t have a clue what the opening should be after the 4 inch chop. Plus, I`ve hurt my foot since then and I`m having to wear one of those Plastic and foam boots( I don`t think welding sparks would be too good on it) so I haven`t been able to work on it in about four weeks.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 23
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back