1951 Chevy Styleline Special Chop Top Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattyhotrod51

I don`t know if anyone can help with this, but I`m thinking about chopping the top on my 51 Chevy Styleline 2 Door, if I can get up enough nerve. It would be my first chop ( Pics coming Tomorrow) Anyway, my idea is the lenghten the roof above the doors so everything will line up...I think it will anyway. And I was just wondering if anyone has a crosscut section or a diagram, measurements of the box section of the roof above the door.I know it would be easier if I had another roof, but I can`t find one that`s not a thousand mile away and/ or they do not want an arm and leg for Oh,yeah, another question how do I hold both sections of the roof after I cut it in half Thanks for any help!

DO A LOT OF RESEARCH BEFORE YOU CUT!! The Styleline isn't half as tricky as the Fleetline, but you have to know what to do with the back window - it is curved glass and you don't want to cut it if possible.

There are a bunch of detailed chops of similar cars all over the net if you search for them. Start there. I researched my Olds Dynamic (fastback style) for a year or more before I started cutting.

You don't really need another roof. You'll probably want to tilt the rear section forward. There are a few options. Most involve cutting the B pillar from the roof and relocating it. And you'll need to know how to deal with the A pillars - they will need to be pushed out at the top and pulled in at the bottom a bit. Also there is how to deal with the side windows - if you decide you need them.

Look through my Olds build for an idea of what to and not to do.

Don't let me scare you either, it needs chopped! [cl

Thanks, Sam. I`ve been bookmarking different website pages about chops for future reference. Looked at your Olds, that was a wicked looking car! Sectioning the roof like you did yours is what I would like to do with mine. And,Boy!, you had that thing slammed!

Buy Tex Smith's "How To Chop Tops". It is a good instructional read with lots of tips and photos on lots of different vehicles, and especially important for a noob. It's available through Amazon and about anywhere else. Mandatory referance & reading for any builder's library...

Thanks, Blue Eyed Devil, I`ve looked at the book on Amazon and other places. It looks like it would a good thing to have, but,:eek:boy, most places want a pretty penny for it, though!

Thanks, Blue Eyed Devil, I`ve looked at the book on Amazon and other places. It looks like it would a good thing to have, but,:eek:boy, most places want a pretty penny for it, though!

It's worth it! REQUIRED READING before attempting ANY chop!
Do your homework - It's cheaper than ruining a car!

Latest posts

Back