1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the old grind.......

Now that we have come to the end of the mock up phase it's time to get back to the basics.
When I started this project lots of things were just cut, then tacked welded together to hold it all in place. So now is the time to solid weld and grind, grind. grind.... In preperation for the body work to follow.
Started with the PS door. Welded the relief cut that goes from edge to edge to allow the top of the door to lean in. Also welded up the inner cuts on the window frame area and clean up a few of the plug welds.
Inner door panel doesn't have to be ground perfect as eventualy there will be a upholsterd panel covering it up.
Thanks for looking in.
Tortchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 33
Now that we have come to the end of the mock up phase it's time to get back to the basics.
When I started this project lots of things were just cut, then tacked welded together to hold it all in place. So now is the time to solid weld and grind, grind. grind.... In preperation for the body work to follow.
Started with the PS door. Welded the relief cut that goes from edge to edge to allow the top of the door to lean in. Also welded up the inner cuts on the window frame area and clean up a few of the plug welds.
Inner door panel doesn't have to be ground perfect as eventualy there will be a upholsterd panel covering it up.
Thanks for looking in.
Tortchie.

Looking good[;)

Torchie.....hate to tell you this.....

Thanks for looking in.
Tortchie.[/QUOTE]

It appears you have a finger sticking out of the cab.....hopefully not one of yours'..... :eek:

So lets pick this up from the Body Q&A section....

Posted on the Body Q&A section about the oil canning in my roof. Tonights effort was to take care of that problem.
Thanks to all that offered their advice and techniques.
My approach to most things that I am trying to fix is to remember the first line of the Hippocratic oath which to parphrase says "Do no Harm".
With that in mind, this is how I remedied the problem with my roof.
1st pic is of the front of the roof. If you look closely you can see the 2 areas that were oil canning. One is left of center. One is mostly on center. Kind of hard to see in the pic, but they are there.

2nd pic shows my weapons of choice. I started with these as I figured that this would be the least likely to cause more harm. Remembering that these areas were damaged prior to the chop I sumised that the welding may have caused them to come back.

3rd Pic. I started with the hammer and dolly at the front edge of the roof were the ridge from the original dent was. Using a hammer on technique I worked my way back to the welded seam for the roof filler piece. Spending more time on the welded seam itself. Continued to work from left to right and front to back. Made a 2nd pass going the reverse direction and the oil canning was gone.:eek::eek:
After about 2 or 3 more passes this is the result.:):)
Roof is good and stiff again. No flexing unless you REALLY bare down on it.
Still have to do some finish welding and grinding and hammer and dolly work but will take it nice and slow at this point.
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 47
Torchie, I was feeling down for you about all that finishing welding and grinding ,grinding, grinding and possible warping. Then you performed your magic on the roof and I forgot to feel bad. In fact, I got feeling pretty good for you.
Keep up the good work.

Nice work Torchie. [cl This build is one of the most interesting going. I look in every day. Hope you are able to get out and work. Its a deep freeze again.

Nice work Torchie. [cl This build is one of the most interesting going. I look in every day. Hope you are able to get out and work. Its a deep freeze again.

Thanks for the good words gang.:)
Nothing new to report gold. We never left the deep freeze.:(
Lack of progress is mainly due to having to deal with what seems to be a pile of family issue's right now as well as some health concerns on my part.:eek:
But the storm appears to be subsiding so I have hopes of getting back at it.[;)[;)[;)
Thanks for listening.
Torchie.

I hope everything straightens out for you, and I hope you are healthy!

Thanks gang.
Got out to the shop today and got something done.
1 and 2 pics. Took apart the bed mockup so that I have better access to the cab.

3rd pic. Back on the PS door. Picture shows the inset of the door when shut as compared to the edge of the cab. Unacceptable!
Of course to fix this right meant cuttting thru some of the welding on the inside of the door that I just did the other day. :eek: Oh well.

4th Pic. New alignment. Looks much,much better.:D

So with that all welded back into place I addresed the door edge/door opening gap.

5th pic show the horror of it all.:eek::eek:. Who did this work:eek::eek: And please ignore the welds as they need to be ground down and some will be redone as well. The main area of problem is the upper parts of the door.

As the picture shows some of the gap is due to lining up the back edge of the body line instead of the front. This can be fixed by either recutting the horizontal weld and then putting in a verticle relief cut and spreading it out to meet correct alignment or by building up the body at the door opening edge. But even with that the gap is still too large.

6th pics shows closing the gap by adding some material to the door edge. Some people use welding rod for this. I have even seen coat hanger used.:eek:
I am using some very nice and new steel rod. Slightly larger than 1/16. I believe. Tacked in place first . Then solid welded. And then of course. Grind. Grind.Grind....

7th pic show the finished product. Much better and more even. Gap at this point is about 3/16th's I will go around the entire window opening/upper door with this and then using a file I will dress it up to get an even a gap as possible.

I know restorers that spent hours on door and fender gap and alignment. As one old timer told me. "They were never that good from the factory" and he was right.
My goal for all of this is to get an exceptable gap that is uniform thru out.

That's all for today. My daughters are taking my wife and I out for dinner to celebrate our 28th Wedding Anniversary.
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 43
Hey Torchie. The gap job looks good.

Hope the frost hasn't got you down. Weather has everything frozen solid here. Now its snowing again as well. OMG winter is long this year! Might just be me, i'm tired of the frozen hinterlands. Whose bloody idea was it to settle here!:mad: I should talk to the ancestors about this.

Thats just a short rant. I'll get over it.

Hey Torchie. The gap job looks good.

Hope the frost hasn't got you down. Weather has everything frozen solid here. Now its snowing again as well. OMG winter is long this year! Might just be me, i'm tired of the frozen hinterlands. Whose bloody idea was it to settle here!:mad: I should talk to the ancestors about this.

Thats just a short rant. I'll get over it.

It's the same here as well gold.
Just got back from spending time in DR and Sarge's neck of the woods. South Eastern Michigan.(Detroit area).
Taking care of my Mother's elder care issue's. (Read that as being a referee.):(
I need to get back into the shop and get some welding therapy.[;)[;)[;)[;)
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back