1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gang for the encouraging comments...

Didn't do much today as promised but I am enjoying the beautiful late summer weather.:D
I did get into the shop to start organising for the next stage in the project though. While putting away the metal working tools I came across my "Cab to-do " checklist.
I guess I have acomplished more in the past 10 days than I thought.
See you all later.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 28
Didn't do much today as promised but I am enjoying the beautiful late summer weather.:D
I did get into the shop to start organising for the next stage in the project though. While putting away the metal working tools I came across my "Cab to-do " checklist.
I guess I have acomplished more in the past 10 days than I thought.
See you all later.....
Torchie.

Progress looks GREAT! I always like a 'to-do' list that looks like that![cl

How to Go Torchie! You've got some real momentum now.
You may be learning something about you that I learned about me; that I can't do all that body work and then leave it not quite done, gotta keep going a little more and then paint it. You have the awesomest truck.
Oh, I almost forgot, you might be getting our weather change any day now. It's 0 C and there was 2 to 3 inches of snow on the lawn this morning.

Last edited:
How to Go Torchie! You've got some real momentum now.
You may be learning something about you that I learned about me; that I can't do all that body work and then leave it not quite done, gotta keep going a little more and then paint it. You have the awesomest truck.
Oh, I almost forgot, you might be getting our weather change any day now. It's 0 C and there was 2 to 3 inches of snow on the lawn this morning.

You know it Mac. I have always been a paint it kind of guy.:)
Oh no...Not an Alberta Clipper.[P
The weather is part of whats pushing me. If this fall is like last fall we will have snow early. Not much done in the last 2 days as I have been busy doing stuff that I have put off since spring.:eek:
Torchie.

You know it Mac. I have always been a paint it kind of guy.:)
Oh no...Not an Alberta Clipper.[P
The weather is part of whats pushing me. If this fall is like last fall we will have snow early. Not much done in the last 2 days as I have been busy doing stuff that I have put off since spring.:eek:
Torchie.

Now you sounds like me.. I've got an outdoor project I need to get done before winter creeps in on me :eek::eek::eek:

Torchie's disclaimer. Please read.

Everybody does things their own way. The following shows how I was taught to do body work almost 40 years ago.You my or may not do it a different way. This way has worked well for me so far.....:D

Doing the filler work on the cab. Started with the top and working my way down. I apologise for the lousy pics as I think the camera is dying.:eek:

Pic 1 and 2. As predicted I will end up skim coating most of this roof. I started out by going over all the welded areas with a coat of chopped fiberglass filler. You can see it in the pics of the vent as it looks dark green. I do this as the fiberglass filler is stronger than reg filler. Moisture resistent, and can be safely applied thicker without product failure if necessary.
After dressing up the chopped filler I then applied a THIN skim coat of Rage. I know that it looks like a lot of filler but in reality it's just a skim coat over a Large area.

Pic 3. My 39 year old Rodak air board. 1 of 2 tools of mine that weren't stolen from the last shop that I worked in.:mad:
Some guys use a "Cheese grater" to do the initial shaping, but with this thin a coat of filler it's all about the sanding.

Pic 4. This shows the cowl vent cover awaiting a skim coat of filler. Welded in place first, followed by the chopped fiber filler. This baby isn't going anywhere. Had I been doing this in lead as hoped for those large side gaps would have just been filled with lead after welding.
Well that's enough dust for today. Thanks for stopping by......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 23
I bought the horrible fright version of that sander, but I have never even tried it.

What grit paper do you start with for shaping filler?

I bought the horrible fright version of that sander, but I have never even tried it.

What grit paper do you start with for shaping filler?

They are opening a HF store about 30 mins from me. I doubt that the new ones would last 40 years.:rolleyes:

With a quality filler like Rage, 80 grit works fine for me Flipper. I have also used 60 grit at times. Like I said. Normaly I would do the general shaping with a grater (Shur- form file) then clean it up with the air board. But not on skim coats.
Be aware of the fact that they really suck air when in use. Thats the biggest hold up when using mine. A bigger capacity compressor is in order one of these days.
Torchie.

Looking good. Why are you working inside? It got unto a
balmy 48* here today. I was flagging traffic today and had to bus out the light hooded dickie coat.

balmy 48* here today. I was flagging traffic today and had to bust out the light hooded dickie coat.

balmy 48* here today. I was flagging traffic today and had to bust out the light hooded dickie coat.

You busted out the coat. And I busted out the heater IB.:D

You want to come do my body work? It doesn't pay much but the weather is nice.

Looking great to me.

Thanks POPS. I always loved winters up here. (Not that it's winter yet) Heck I used to go winter tent camping and canoeing. Not so much any more though.....[S
Average temp for this date is 72 degrees. Todays high was around 47 degrees.:(
Torchie.

Current state of the roof work. Progress has been slow but steady as my hands just ain't what they used to be.:(
Coat of black primer on the roof. It's close to getting there.
Filled vent started but not finished yet.
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
Looking good Torchie! Still mid 90s down here and it's drain the welding helmet every other minute so ya don't drown...

Want to do my roof too so I can paint it? =P

NO!!:D :D Well maybe..........
By the time I get done practicing on mine, yours will be a piece of cake DR.:p

The top has a nice roundness to it again

Thanks OI. The crown was mostly there just not where I put the filler strip.[S

Having said that.....
After going back out last night and looking at it 1 or 200 hundred times I went at it aqain this morning. Wasn't happy with the drivers side so more dust was made.:rolleyes:
Not to make excuses but between the lack of feeling in my hands and my pee poor eye sight I wasn't satisfied and just felt that I could get it better.

So with a pair of rested eyes and almost rested hands I broke out the armstrong long board.:D
As stated earlier it looks like a lot of filler but in reality very thin but large area.

Also gave the vent area another spot or two of filler. Some block sanding and that should be ready.

Moved around to the rear window panel and started to cover the scar's there as well.
Don't know what will get done tomorrow as I have some family matters to deal with but I am hoping to get the body work on the cab and doors done before the weather really gets cold.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 13
Ain't bondo fun ??:D
I've been playing with it for 40+ years and still feel like I'm in college performing at a grade 5 level...:(
More ends up on the floor (and everywhere else in the garage) than stays on - wish you could re-use all that dust...[S

Back