1953 My first old style build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldos_1

Well here is the start of something im new too,i have done a lot of Nova cars but this will be a learning experience for me ,here are a cpl pics IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

Well after much tought,i decided one my first old rod ill do it simple , gonna leave the stock front end ,but go with 4" lowering axle and remove 2 leafs out of each spring ,and that should lower me almost 6" and plus i have never seen one with all stock front end go hoodless and fenderless, gonna go with the old 350 with turbo 350 trans with a 305 comp cam with straight pipes off the heads with a 3000 stall,will post pics as i go

Usually fenderless goes to a forward axle to get the right "look". But no problems - it'll still be better accepted than an IFS set up. And if you want to move the axle later, it can still be done.

Nice solid looking truck.

Well after much tought,i decided one my first old rod ill do it simple , gonna leave the stock front end ,but go with 4" lowering axle and remove 2 leafs out of each spring ,and that should lower me almost 6" and plus i have never seen one with all stock front end go hoodless and fenderless, gonna go with the old 350 with turbo 350 trans with a 305 comp cam with straight pipes off the heads with a 3000 stall,will post pics as i go

you haven't looked hard enough , there's more than one on here and KB

Well ,just got a donor for the rod ,i bought a 89 chevy truck that was on the street driving around,350 engine, good rear end ,good transmission ,all together,so all i need now is for my tubing to get here today or for sure this week, tell me if this makes any sense,im gonna lay my cab the hieght i nrrd cut the trans tunnel out stick it all inline where i need it and mock it up pop lines on the cement and can anyone tell me about how far the front axle should be from the front on the engine are its just a look thing as you see ya like it ,thanks for all yall help

Some progress

Got the rearend and front engine ,and mocked up will try to cut the tubbing this week coming along ,looking and looking and re-measuring over and over ,the wheel base looks like 130" but it dont look too long might be able to get 5" less when install it all,i was wondering how much Z would i need over the rear im gonna run springs and shocks ,so how much over the rear axle should i go with my frame.

Attachments

• 11-14-10_1447.jpg
    11-14-10_1447.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 69
  • 11-14-10_1414.jpg
    11-14-10_1414.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 90
  • 11-14-10_1413.jpg
    11-14-10_1413.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 100
I have the same problem I have had allot of 70s and 80s rides worked on all of them but my car was built 9 years before I was born.LOL

Good luck with your build. As most here will say, "build it how you want". I know you said you are new to this so I won't bust your chops too hard - However, I do think you are doing a major disservice to the otherwise good-looking AD pickup by removing the sheetmetal. It is VERY hard to get any sort of proper porportions in these trucks that way. But hey, what do I know right? :p

It does inspire a thought though - Maybe I should start buying up all these good fenders & hoods for late model trucks. That way in a few years when this fad is over I can sell them at a premium to everyone who wants to fix all these hacked up trucks laying around. Haha...

Kinda like everyone who put late model dashes & digital gauges in old cars in the 80's-90's eh?

Last edited:
Getting it done pretty fast

Well,i have the frame welded all my measurements taken and will install the rear and front end tomorrow and then set the motor,then saturday the cab will go on, was kinda slow checking and double checking but all is good now,thanks to all of you who answered my crazy questions,and on the frame i went straight from front to back with a very little wider in the rear,and well the front end is not welded yet i may be able to cut 6 or so inches back so will wait till the motor and radiator is in before that,so thanks

Attachments

• 11-21-10_1421.jpg
    11-21-10_1421.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 11-21-10_1422.jpg
    11-21-10_1422.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 53
in the second pic, the frame looks a little twisted and un square. it might be the picture but might want to double check. if it is not right nothing else on the build will be either. make sure the foundation of the build is good before moving on.

Yes i saw that too,so i did a double take and it was 1/8" off ,i think the pic makes it look worst than it was ,i read a post a while back and i saw a frame that looked crooked and it was the picture, belive me i have read to double and tripple check and then i look at it from my chair and think a while lol, thanks for the input

Good luck with your build. As most here will say, "build it how you want". I know you said you are new to this so I won't bust your chops too hard - However, I do think you are doing a major disservice to the otherwise good-looking AD pickup by removing the sheetmetal. It is VERY hard to get any sort of proper porportions in these trucks that way. But hey, what do I know right? :p

It does inspire a thought though - Maybe I should start buying up all these good fenders & hoods for late model trucks. That way in a few years when this fad is over I can sell them at a premium to everyone who wants to fix all these hacked up trucks laying around. Haha...

Kinda like everyone who put late model dashes & digital gauges in old cars in the 80's-90's eh?

Don't want to be rude, but, yeah, X2:(

AD's just DON'T look right without that big, round nose and happy smiley face grille.

Build it safe and enjoy it though. It's your truck.

Regards,
Shea:)

Words to live by!!
Could not be any more honest than that!!!!

I don't know if you've been through the builds much, but there are several that run fenderless but keep the hood. Very aggressive look IMO. Helps to hide the 6" firewall that sticks out. Might be something to think about. B.E.D. is blunt, but makes a point - at least hide away your spare sheet metal in the attic, just because.

Looks like you've got a plan on the frame now. 130" Is long (but not too long) It'll look even longer when you get the roof down.

Coming along greattttttttt

Well i have done a lot this weekend ,the engine installed ,the bed ,the cab,all the rear suspension,drive shaft, now its in the shop so i can do a little every night as it gets so dark so early ,i didnt want to do a lot of grinding as not to get sparks on the Nova,but any way its coming along just fine,again thanks to all who answer my questions

Attachments

• 11-27-10_1551.jpg
    11-27-10_1551.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 11-27-10_1552.jpg
    11-27-10_1552.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 11-27-10_1553.jpg
    11-27-10_1553.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 43
Got the rearend and front engine ,and mocked up will try to cut the tubbing this week coming along ,looking and looking and re-measuring over and over ,the wheel base looks like 130" but it dont look too long might be able to get 5" less when install it all,i was wondering how much Z would i need over the rear im gonna run springs and shocks ,so how much over the rear axle should i go with my frame.

That is determined by the height of the springs you are going to use . Only use as much Z as is required . good luck on YOUR build .

Latest posts

Back