1955 Ford C600 Cabover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm watching this build with a future project in mind. Your thought process and the steps you are taking make lots of sense. Keep up the great work, and keep the pics coming, Shakey56.

^^^^ I like the thought. If you want you take and separate the fender lip at the body line and then shape it to the Wheel and add some patch pieces in the void. could make it tighter than the truck fender.

Just an idea.

Great build I will be watching this one.

Arin

I like the fillin idea or you might build a step ?

Attachments

• 1956COE12_1hg.jpg
    1956COE12_1hg.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 171
Responses

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I have considered making the wheel opening smaller. I have a pair of rear fenders I am going to cut up and use to extend the rear of the front fenders downward. Originally, there is a step that is part of the fender. I only had one side and it was badly bent. I don't care for them anyway. I think I would be able to use some of each fender to easily modify the opening, making it smaller. If I make the modification to the rear of the opening, I could move the cab back more. That should give me an even better angle on my steering. We'll see....probably gonna happen. Still probably gonna run a pretty big tire. It is a "big truck" after all.:D:D

And, yeah Snake.....I am getting excited. I had hoped to be further along by now but everyone on here knows how it is. Life happens and time flies by. I still try to operate on the "KISS' method...."Keep It Simple Stupid". LOL ;)

I really appreciate your responses. You know, it makes the build a lot more fun to have you guys involved. Thanks again.:cool:

Lynn

More planning

I need to determine what I am gonna do to my front fenders before I place the cab in its final position. Sometime back I acquired a pair of rear fenders from an F100. The rear of one of these fenders looks like what I need to modify the wheelwell opening on Buford. Here are some pics of my COE fender with the black donor fender behind it. It looks like the easiest way. I'll cut the COE fender and weld on the rear section of the donor.

This would reduce the opening horizontally from 36 inches to approximately 26 inches.

I think it will look a lot better. What do you guys think? Do you see any problems I don't see?

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
Size Matters.....!

I suggest placing the mockup where it will go next to the cab. The potential problem i see is going too small proportionally. Too big of an opening wouldn't bother me nearly as much as too small.

Yeah thanks, Eman, for that suggestion. I'll make a cardboard template of the section of the donor fender and attach it to my fender before I make the final measurements. I don't want it too big or too small either.[S

Thanks again:D:D
Lynn

Just my .02 cents I would not cut them up. I think the big fenders is what makes a COE along with the hood. I think with the right running board/steps would make the truck look right, even with the tire pulled in. Here is a quick photo of what I would do, and dont laught its NOT TO SCALE...LOL

fordcoelynnredo.jpg

Fenders

R.A.W. Rods
Hey thanks, buddy. The drawing impressed me...really. I'm lookin at both options. I appreciate your viewpoint...I just really don't like the shape of the stock front fender. Maybe when I mock it up, it'll look different. We'll see.:confused::(

Thanks again
Lynn

Cab is mounted...almost.

OK....2 things. I've decided to not modify my front fenders. I may do it later but in an effort to get Buford on the road, I'm going with them as they are.:p

Second....I have removed and modified everything and got the cab down where I want it. My floorpan is 28 inches from the floor. The rear cabmounts are made and mounted. I was able to use the existing mounts already on the frame by just making brackets. (See pics.) I have not made the front ones yet.[;)

And the steering is lining up better.:D

(Thanks, OLM, for your help.)

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 104
The latest

Some days you get a lot done, other days......ya don't.

I removed the old busted windshield and am very pleased that there is no rust in the channel, I'm glad I don't have to do any repair in that area.

I temporarily hung my fenders on just to see how they look. And to see how low they are to the ground. In the picture, that is a box of playing cards standing next to the fender.:D

Also bought some rubber "biscuits" to use when making my front cab mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 131
Looks really good, Lynn. Would it be possible to section a couple inches out of the fenders, if needed?

Too Low?

Yeah, Bob, I think I'll have to cut or section the very bottom of the fenders. My 56 F100 is 7 inches at the bottom of the front bumper and I drag some of the places I go. This low looks cool but it's not really practical for a daily driver in the hill country of East Tennessee. Gonna keep it as low as possible, though.:cool:

Thanks for your interest.:)

Lynn

Me too....

Hey man, I'm way too old to do this but I've always wanted one. Drove by an old junkyard way back in the country and there sat Buford. Just couldn't resist. I'm slow but I am gettin it done. When it's finished, me and Buford are gonna kill bugs every day. LOL:D:D:D

Find one and jump in.[cl[cl

Lynn

Attachments

• MY COE.jpg
    MY COE.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 32
  • MY COE 2.jpg
    MY COE 2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 29
Fenders

I am adding an extension to the rear of my front fenders. I'm not modifying the wheel opening as I originally intended. I'm simply adding 9 inches to the fender to make it look more complete.[S

I have cut a section from a 56 rear fender and am going to bolt it to the rear of the front. I have one side completed. Sorry....no pics yet. I will post photos when I get the other side done....hopefully this weekend.[;)

S'gonna look better....trust me.:D

Lynn

Latest posts

Back