1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on a lot of small details. Hooked up the fuel line, plumbed the brake booster, put 1/2" Duraliner foam on the fire wall, but mostly have been sanding and prepping the inner fenders, dash, and other small pieces. Most of it doesn't show in pics very well.

Here's one inner fender and the wing. The other side of the wing is body color.

student%20011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Revised spray booth worked better with the fan raised, but it's still too small to be able the get more than a couple parts in.

student%20012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The process I'm doing starts with 2 -3 coats of sealer (10 -15 minutes between coats, 2-3 coats of base color (10-15 minutes between coats) and 2-3 coats of clear (same wait). All of them have max wait times, so once started you want to get all the coats on in the same session. You can't wait more than 24 hours after shooting the sealer or you need to scuff it and re-shoot it.

student%20014.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yesterday I started painting at 7:00 am with zero wind. By 8:00 there was a gentle breeze - the booth can handle a gentle breeze). By 8:30 20 mph + wind. My stuff blew off the mixing bench. Ended up with a little dirt in the clear. Don't really care about the inner fender, but I am disappointed with the dash. I guess I'll get some experience fixing paint flaws.

Whenever I try to paint something outside , it rains. Sometimes when we need rain,people call me+ask me to paint something,so it will rain. I think that"s why I like Rats,don"t have to worry bout prefect paint job. Your ride is looking good!

Whenever I try to paint something outside , it rains. Sometimes when we need rain,people call me+ask me to paint something,so it will rain. I think that"s why I like Rats,don"t have to worry bout prefect paint job. Your ride is looking good!

Weather has been most uncooperative. I bought slow reducer and activator for 90 degrees and above. In the past, early May temperatures are approaching or exceeding 100. Today a little rain, temp in the high 60's and real wind.

It's been a long time since I did anything with real paint - I'm wishing I had gone Rat. I had over 20 hours in prep work on the dash alone. I'm about 40 hours into the fenders, but they aren't done.

Weather has been most uncooperative. I bought slow reducer and activator for 90 degrees and above. In the past, early May temperatures are approaching or exceeding 100. Today a little rain, temp in the high 60's and real wind.

It's been a long time since I did anything with real paint - I'm wishing I had gone Rat. I had over 20 hours in prep work on the dash alone. I'm about 40 hours into the fenders, but they aren't done.

For what it's worth it looks great.[cl
Just remember the big picture which is all the little mistakes are real obvious to you because you made them and how great it will look when it is all done and put together.:)
Also. Your comment about time spent is why real good paint jobs cost upwards of $6000.00 depending on the work done. And show quality paint jobs cost $$$$$$$$$$$$
[P [P [P :D
Torchie

For what it's worth it looks great.[cl
Just remember the big picture which is all the little mistakes are real obvious to you because you made them and how great it will look when it is all done and put together.:)
Also. Your comment about time spent is why real good paint jobs cost upwards of $6000.00 depending on the work done. And show quality paint jobs cost $$$$$$$$$$$$
[P [P [P :D
Torchie

Thanks Torchie.

I just looked at the dash and there are a few dust nibs, but it does look pretty good - of course it was dark. The inner fender has a huge run, but it will be under the battery tray. Considering the big picture, it's all pretty good.

When you see them paint a car on tv or You Tube, they never show all the work the little parts take. With the dash there was also the ash try (which came out ok), the glove compartment (totally a re-do), and the speaker grill (which came out good). Then there are trim pieces that cover the front edge of the dash and a little clip that covers the joint in the center, and the trim pieces at the top of the windshield and the mirror. It really seems never ending.

Thanks Torchie.

I just looked at the dash and there are a few dust nibs, but it does look pretty good - of course it was dark. The inner fender has a huge run, but it will be under the battery tray. Considering the big picture, it's all pretty good.

When you see them paint a car on tv or You Tube, they never show all the work the little parts take. With the dash there was also the ash try (which came out ok), the glove compartment (totally a re-do), and the speaker grill (which came out good). Then there are trim pieces that cover the front edge of the dash and a little clip that covers the joint in the center, and the trim pieces at the top of the windshield and the mirror. It really seems never ending.

You know it on the dashboard DJ.
Kind of like painting a bathroom. Usually the smallest room but it takes the longest time.;)
Torchie

Hey DJ, man this thing is looking good........as for the dust......
even the PRO'S get a little dirt here and there...nothing a little cut
and buff won't take care of...........

Thanks for the update Dan. I thought i was going to have to file a complaint. :D

No need to file a complaint - I've been doing enough complaining for all of us - shiny paint sucks.

I wet sanded the dash to 3000 grit and compounded - it looks pretty good. Mostly I learned some things:
Figured out I need buffing pads that I don't have (more $$$).
Compound is really expensive.
The run issues I had were in the sealer - got to eliminate that problem.
I need to shoot more clear.
Quit when it gets windy.

Don't worry, the upholstery will hold it?

You might remember my concern about the roof being loose. (Page 42 if you're interested.) A slight push in the middle would deform a couple square feet. I had decided to make some braces to support it.

I got the ceiling painted yesterday so I could make the braces. But first, I needed to see how much room I would have above the headliner bows. Surprise, the headliner bows actually push against the roof! With them in place no deflection.

headliner%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Body panel gaskets

Several years ago, when I did the '53, I bought a roll of butyl rubber self adhering roofing. Real sticky, about 1/16" thick and no aluminum foil. The roll cost around $70 for 3' x 100'. (Home Depot has similar stuff that is only 6" wide and a lot less expensive.) I have used it for all kinds of things including sound deadening and even roofing on the house.

Also on the '53 I have had irritating squeaks where the body panels bolt together. I decided to use the butyl rubber as a gasket where the panels mate.

I just stick it on then cut it out with an Xacto knife. I found that the edges remain sticky, so I wipe the edge with corn starch. Seems like it will work great - but I haven't had a chance to see if it actually eliminates the squeaks.

headliner%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The center is Dynaliner foam. The edges have the butyl rubber

headliner%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Man that roof looks a mile long in that pic. It's all good when something works out when you're not counting on it.
Good idea on the squeak suppression. I hate squeaks.

Man that roof looks a mile long in that pic. It's all good when something works out when you're not counting on it.
Good idea on the squeak suppression. I hate squeaks.

Yeah, it is a mile long. The pic doesn't even show anything from the B pillar forward. I had a mental image of putting about 1" thick insulation on the roof - obviously that's not going to happen.

When I took the bows out I thought they all looked the same so I didn't label them. Turns out there are a few that are the same; the rest are of different lengths with different shapes at the bends. I don't think I have them in the correct locations.

I'd have never thought that the bows were what stopped the oil canning.
Makes ya feel better, I bet. Would me for sure.
About the only thing you can do is put thin sound deadener in the roof with the bows touching it.

I don't know if they did it back then, but a lot of Ford's used a dab of colored paint on the bow and roof to get them in the right place. If several of them are the same, of course they would go in the same places like the center or ends.

Latest posts

Back