1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How "driveable" is it there? It looks great. My 48 is low and I have bashed the fenders a couple of times...but they are rusty junk (hammer and dolly ...and go again) . Having painted rockers scares me.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am very happy with the stance - 2" made a lot of difference.

The tires don't rub at full turn. It might be a problem at full turn with a bump, but, hasn't yet. The frame is lower than the rockers so they're protected, except from rock chips. The car clears the almost 6" high speed bumps in the neighborhood, which means it will clear just about anything.

Some people just have that eye for perfection. [cl I think that is about as close to perfect as I've seen in a long time. Well done!!![cl[cl[cl

Thanks, everyone. It's a fun drive and I get a lot of thumbs up.

Old Iron, I'm very happy with the grille, especially since I have $70 invested in it and the bid to re-chrome the original grille was $900. I didn't like the original grille, anyhow.

Still working through a few details to finish or fix.

Allow me to join in the chorus and add my Congratulations for a job well done. [cl [cl [cl
You will get lots of thumbs up and more smiles per gallon then you can imagine.:D
There were days when daily driving my 50 GMC panel truck that it took me a half hour just to get a tank of gas. 5 minutes for the fill up and 25 minutes answering all the questions from the curious.:D
Enjoy it....
Torchie

up

I really appreciate all the compliments. And thanks to all of you who have followed along for 128 pages.

I'm still slugging through all the little issues, although I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about fixing as about building.

I pulled the driver's side door panel. That allowed me to loosen all the hinge bolts and jack the door into position. The driver's side door now shuts pretty well. It was a multi-part problem. The strike plate was angled down toward the outside of the car.

While the door panel was off I replaced the broken window glass.

I put some soft rubber inside the window channel to cover the rivets that caused the other crack. The new window lasted zero miles, 2 normal door closings and less than 2 hours.

This one looks like it might have started at the bottom. Too irritated to check it out any further.

Attachments

• driver's window 2.jpg
    driver's window 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 22
I don't know who is cutting your glass but it seems to me that there may be an issue with the glass already having an unseen stress crack that pops once you use it.
It is frustrating when stuff like this happens.
Torchie

I can feel your frustation from here. That sucks.
Did you install power windows? I had a similar problem when I put power windows in my Chevelle. Three pieces of glass later I determined the window was rocking in the channels and binding. Hang in there you'll get it.

I can feel your frustation from here. That sucks.
Did you install power windows? I had a similar problem when I put power windows in my Chevelle. Three pieces of glass later I determined the window was rocking in the channels and binding. Hang in there you'll get it.
I had one do the same thing. After the channel settled at the bottom the bottom edge of the glass hit a mounting bolt, chip it then the crack showed up.
The glass can also be tightened too much by the clamps and also crack.

Torchie, I-R-Pops and Old Iron

Thanks for the input. Nice to have some additional things to look for.

Frustration is the word. I haven't looked at it, yet.

Throw a piece of plexi in it. lol.
Beautiful car. Hope you figure out whats cracking your glass.
I had a k10 once that I had been driving for years and one day when I shut the door the glass exploded. Put another piece of glass in it and never had another problem for the next 6 years that I drove it.

Latest posts

Back