1958 Ford fordor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddpowers

Not that I needed another project, but I just bought this at an auction today. Title says a 1958 Ford Unknown. I think it is a custom, or custom 300. Runs good, drove it home. Needs some lighting fixed, and the rear drivers side door latch fixed. The interior is in pretty good shape, someone redid some of the interior. I get to get a little deeper into it tomorrow.

Looks pretty solid....

I was never a fan of the 58's..thought the 57's looked so much better with the single headlamps.....but looks like you got a good solid ride there....Have fun....:D

Thanks. I'm considering some different paint. some one else already painted it, and didn't do a great job. the clear they put on is peeling everywhere. For now I guess, I'm just going to clean it up fix the lighting, and put some new tires on it. Trans is leaking too, just don't know how bad yet. I'll get some more pictures posted late today after I dig into it more. I also bought a bench seat for the 46 ford at the auction to, so I'll have to work on that.

Cool ride.

I saw that auction online and thought about going. How much did that old ford roll back go for? It looked pretty ruff in the pics.

I don't know what the roll back went for. After I bought the ford, I figured I better leave. There was a lot of people interested in the rollback. And yes, it was very rough.
THere was a Crosley, it went for $275, but it was pretty rough.

Hello Odd. Nice find. You might have scored a Fairlane. I'm not sure on '58s but '57s had those high fins and a deep back bumper like yours. The Fairlanes had a 2" longer wheel base, also. 116", I think. Here's my '57, Don't the fins look alike.

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 10
Mac, I looked the serial # up on the interweb, and it said it was a custom/custom 300. The fins to look pretty close though.

I got all the lights working except the front turns, and drivers side head lights. I fixed the hood latch too. The kids washed it and cleaned the windows. Drove it about 15 miles today just too make sure every thing worked as it should.
The original paint was like a pink color. :confused:
What do you guys think about painting I like the colors it is, but the paint job itself is pretty bad. thought I might rough it up fix a few rust spots, and hit it with some flat black? Not sure though.. It will never be a show quality ride. (at least when its mine)

Hi Odd. Sorry about the wrong guess on the model. You've scared me enough that I won't guess what the motor is. I've got it narrowed down to a 292 or a 332. You're just going to have to break down and tell us. You have to. That little snippet of a glimpse of the air cleaner was not enough clue for me.

No problem mac. Its a 292. (Unless someone has swapped it out) that's what the serial number says. it should be.

Well, I pulled the car in the shop for some rework, and paint. After doing some checking, the motor has been swapped out. It has a 351c in it now.

Man this thing is rough. it got prolly 100# of bondo in it, and another 100# of silicone. :confused:

The boy and I sanded it all down. and sprayed it satin black. put new carpet in it, fixed the windsheild wiper motor, and the heating system (except the blower motor) The three cables that opperate the heat/defrost were hooked up all wrong. Here's some pics. I think I'm gonna go for the police car look, so if any one knows where I can get a dome police light let me know.

I got the 58 back in the shop. I'm gonna sand it completly down to bare metal this time. and fix some holes. Then I'll prime and satin black. I've wasted a whole roll of fine line tape practicing scallops, so hopefull when I getting painted again, I'll be able to put some cool scallops on it.
This thing has got to have at least 4 coats of paint on it.

I got one finder somewhat done. There is a place that looks like swiss cheese. I'm not sure how to fix that yet. The part above the head light are rotted, and full of bondo. I think I'll just straighten them up a little and be done with it. There is a lot of pitting to.
I pull the door off, it getting stripped right now.

Eyebrows(The part above the headlight) on these era cars always have rust. No matter what make.
Looks like your getting right to it.
Keep going. It will be a great driver.
Torchie.

I've got a front fender, the drivers side front and rear door, and the hood all stripped down. Working on the trunk and rear quater right now.

Latest posts

Back