1976 Bronco 9"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
Is this the Big bearing or Small bearing axle.Would you use it in your car? I am going to look at one today and would like to know if its worth the money.I know that this has probably been covered before.But I worked all night last night and just dont have the drive to look through all the old threads. He is lookin for 300.00.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If it has 11" drums, then you will have Big Bearings which is prefered as there are more brake kits available for less money than anything for the small bearing large pattern stuff. 300 seems high though unless its in rust free shape with no leaks and a posi. Check the tag for an "L" between the numbers of the ratio example-- 3L50. They do have a nice width and there are adapters available to change the pattern.

Too late now I suppose but for future reference here's a chart that you can use to identify Ford housing ends. Also something to note is that there are two different big bearing nine inch housing ends.

I can email a bigger version of this to anyone who wants it.

Well after multiple calls to this guy after I told him that I would be heading to that area.He never answered.Then I finally get a call from him later this evening.I ask him if its a big bearing or a small bearing rear.He tells me its a big bearing.I ask him about the brakes.He tells me its got 12" brakes.So I am all ready to head down to his shop and check it out.

I worked all night on Friday till 7:00 Am on Saturday,I was beat down and then grabbed a shower and some grub.My son hopped in the truck with me and we headed to Half Moon Bay.

I get there and right away I can tell this guy is a TWEAKER.Even my son thats 6 years old tells me."Dad I will wait for you here in the truck".So I walk the guys shop and go check out this 9".As soon as I see it I know its a small bearing rear.I tell him that and he takes some cash off.It was listed as assembled drum to drum in the add.I see it and the axles and drums are missing.I ask him whats the deal is with the missing parts.He finally gets all the parts together and tells me he is missing a drum and the hardware."Tweakin""So I tell him I am goin to give less money.He accepts right away.

Well long story short.Its a small bearing 9".Its got 31 spline axles that are drilled for 5x5/12 and for Gm 5x4/34.He gave me the Gm drums and the 1 Ford drum.He also gave me a bag of hardware that will all need to be replaced but it has 1 new wheel cylinder in it.

I get home and tear it all apart on the tailgate because I want to see how bad this whole deal is goin to be,Not to mention that I could not unload it alone.I find out that the axle bearings are brand new,The carrier looks real good with no shaving in the housing.

I noticed that both the axles are the same lenth.Is this the way they are suppossed to be?

I took a bunch of pics of all the numbers that I found on all the parts.I am not a Ford guy,So this is all new to me.Can anyone tell me what this all means as far as the numbers go.I know that the overall axle with is 65".I am just wondering what the gear ratio it is?I will be running a SBC and a TH350 for a mill.I have both that I pulled from My 35 just to freshen up till we have the funds to get a Pointiac or a Hemi mill.

9RearEnd008.jpg

9RearEnd006.jpg
com/albums/w196/35mastr/9RearEnd007.jpg[/IMG]
9RearEnd003.jpg

9RearEnd002.jpg

9RearEnd001.jpg

Owe,By the way he started at 300.00 and I got it for 150.00

Thanks in advance

If both axles are same length AND they fit the housing, then I would assume someone shortened one side to center the pinion.

31 spline are great!
GM pattern is also great!
I dont know enough to ID the carrier. I think you did pretty darn good for the price, I would have been real happy to get that.:)

Too late now I suppose but for future reference here's a chart that you can use to identify Ford housing ends. Also something to note is that there are two different big bearing nine inch housing ends.

I can email a bigger version of this to anyone who wants it.

Gastrick,Mine is the third one in from left to right on the bottom,It says New Style Ford Big Bearing.I measured it and it matches those specs.But it only has 3/8 bolt holes that hold the axle in.Thats why I thought it was a small bearing axle.Now the question is "Is it a Big Bearing axle".

I'd say you did real good.
I paid 400 for a early narrow one when I needed it and now find out it has a bent axle and nothing inside the drums.
The Broncos should all be big bearings though I thought.

Latest posts

Back