1989 Lincoln

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Bit & Pop

Good Afternoon Everyone! I joined this site with my 15 year old daughter because of Bobs thread on how although it is a rat forum, all were welcome. I saw so many other forums that if you didnt fit just their rat niche, then you were out. Well, heres where we are at. I know that this car can never be a true rat. Heck, we're on here looking for input to see if we can make it a real anything. :p The reason we are going this way is because we already own the car, its dependable with a 5.0 and only 75k on the odometer and rats are cool. However, the style doesnt always lend to all body types. Black primer, red rims, dual exhaust and a lowered suspension can be inexpensive and cool, but I dont want it to look like just a beater. Another thought was an old school salt racer. Gray primer, wheel discs and mooneye stickers behind the front wheel, but I hate a car that looks fast and isnt. So until she shows me she has the maturity.... The bank account isnt overflowing, but we do have the tools, the space and some knowledge to tinker. We have friends for the more technical parts. We are open for any ideas, concepts, styles, colors, etc that keeps her in the earlier years of cars and out of the Rice! :D Thanks in advance. Bob and Marha

Attachments

• DSC04509.JPG
    DSC04509.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC04510.JPG
    DSC04510.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 38
I would go kind of gothic!! Flat black, with green accents, and as many skulls. webs and such as you possibly could do!!
If you have the skills, suicide back doors!! Chop is out with all that glass!
Would be cool slammed, and bagged!

There's a few ideas, would help to know what Lil Bit likes!! Is she a girly girl.
or get outa my face type!! Good Luck!!

I'd say a flat or semi flat finish in whatever color she likes, remove the vinyl top, add a push back sunroof that opens the whole top.

Bags would be cool, but can be pricey. I think some painted solid wheels or the artillery style wheel with a hub cap would look pretty good on that. Simple and clean.

Make it a Linkamino. Weld the doors shut move the back window up (there is a perfect spot behind the front doors to splice it in) ditch the trunk lid add a hint of fins...........

Then cover it with skulls or flying eyeballs.

theres a guy here localy that has an old limo flat blacked original aluminum wheels i think 2 1/2 exhaust pipes running from behinde the front wheels all the way to infront of the rear wheels takes them off for racing, lol.calls it dragzilla. in the end its yours do it your way. have fun with it enjoy the time with your daughter.

RAINMAN:
Hey Rainman , its Marha AKA "lil' bit" as our screen name shows.
I wanted to thank you for the GREAT ideas for our (my) :rolleyes: '89 lincoln! Your skull ideas are really cool and my favorite color is green! The suicide doors sound reallly cool and we've discussed it but we aren't sure it would be done . the door bends around the rear wheel weld where the new hinges would go .
Thanks again , Marha.

DIRTYRAT:
Hey Dirtyrat , its marha , i wanted to thank you very much for the great ideas for my '89 lincoln . the sunroof idea is awesome! It would totally work great because as you can see the vinal top is SHOT! :D

WILIT EVERRUN:
Hey Wilit Everrun , Thank you soooo much for you ideas ! The linkamino cracked me up and it is the perfect name! :D I love your idea for moving the glass up and turning the trunk into an el camino bed.
Thanks again for your help! Marha.

I deleted the photo I posted--it is your thread for photos, not mine.

My daughter (7 years old) would vote for purple with flowers, princesses, and musical notes. There would probably be some pink hearts in there too.

You could buy your daughter an airbrush and see how things turn out ;)

SUNNYBEACH:
Thanks so much for that picture !!! It was awesome with the splattering and the colors , I really didn't mind at all that it was on there but thanks anyways for taking it off! :) haha I love your daughters ideas and I'm actually considering it! ;) thanks again and I would love to see some more pictures! Marha.

OLD LADY'S MAD:
Thanks for that information! It's soo helpful especially when you need new ideas for your first car!! :) The car sounds like a great idea . We've been discussing dual exhaust out the back or out in front of the back tires. Side pipes gives us a new third option! :)
Thanks again , Marha.

I'm not very computer literate so I don't know how to link this, but if you go to criagslist, Louisville Ky. and go to rat rod, a Lincoln like your's comes up!!
It's very much like the one you may be looking to build!! Just a thought, you
might get an idea or two!!

BTW It is flat black lowered, lots of pinstripping, just clean!! Pretty cool car if you ask me!! Good Luck!!

Question....isn't the suspension already air?

I thought lincolns have used air suspension for quite afew years...although not air bags, don't they inflate to keep it level....either way, I like the idea of lowering it....ditching the vinyl top and painting it flat or satin....probably black....makes it look low and lean even if it's a more door.....wide whites, painted wheels, and whatever trim she might think of.....could be a cool ride....she's be stylin!!

I thought lincolns have used air suspension for quite afew years...although not air bags, don't they inflate to keep it level....either way, I like the idea of lowering it....ditching the vinyl top and painting it flat or satin....probably black....makes it look low and lean even if it's a more door.....wide whites, painted wheels, and whatever trim she might think of.....could be a cool ride....she's be stylin!!

I hadn't thought of that Sarge, it should be!![cl

I thought maybe....

I did a swap for guy not long ago on a 90 or 91 that all the shocks were gone and I got a set from Strut masters and replaced them all....worked out well and the car wasn't sagging to the ground....He found no humor in my telling him to keep it that way......:( Not sure why, it looked cool as heck!!! :D

welcome - you have a running vehicle! thats more than a lot of folks here have hahahaha --- sent you a message -- i think you got everything you need to make a cool car... all id say is be creative, ask questions if you need help, keep pictures posted - and you two have fun doing it together...

Welcome to RRR Lil Bit & Pop!

Seems everybody likes lowered and flat black for your Lincoln, and I have to agree. Here's a pic I found on the 'net....

Lincoln10133988_2009715194235.jpg

Once upon a time I had a 74 lincoln town car with a 460. Loved that car. Only ford I ever had that didnt leave me stranded. I agree on ditching the vynal top. Those things get thrashed to easy. Satin black would be great on it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not go wide white though

Last edited:
Hey guys, its Marha and I wanted to thank EVERYONE who wrote with your great ideas! My dad and I have disscussed it and came to a final start plan. The rims will go gloss black Cragar Delux 69's. We may see about beauty rings. Everyone will be glad to know that there will be NO WHITE WALLS ;). We are going to save some money paint-wise and completly strip the car down to bare metal and then clear coat it. It will give it that nice, new shine, but be completely different! We have found a picture of a car on the web that gave us the idea! (see attached picture) Also, as many suggested on our build forum, we are getting rid of the gosh awful vinyl roof :rolleyes: The roof will be completly stripped and painted in glossy black. We're also lightly tinting the windows :). Again I want to thank everyone who took their time and effort to write me and my dad back on this. It helped us more than you know! Your guys' ideas were wonderful! I hope that you will be able to continue to "aid" my dad and I through this build! [cl

Marha

Attachments

• Pure Metal.jpg
    Pure Metal.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Cragar Wheel.jpg
    Cragar Wheel.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back