1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welds

man'o man, l wish l could weld like that.

l can't weld at all and have to have friends do it because of health condition:(

starting to come together, keep us updated, post more pics.

Later[dr

getting closer, yea right lol.

anyhow, today was a good day, lol. me and my boy slid the frame under the body. took a jack and some wiggle but it went in. i then went ahead and leveled the frame, then the body on the frame, after i tacked in the rear horizonal tube off of the rear Z.next step was to center the rear of the body on the frame and weld it in place. tomorrow morning i will run to handyman and get some turn buckles (7 in total) so i can get the finial fitment with the doors. the cowl need to go up and out on a 45*. that will get the body in tune with the doors, then replace the wood with iron.

heres some pics from tonight. i dont have the main cross members in yet because i dont know how or what im doing with the front.

i also like the body rake it has right now. im going to hold off on choping the top till i see how much head room i have when the floor is in. i just might leave the roof alone as it is and run with it.

as you can see i have the front Z tucked into the body. and on the inside the Z is just under the oem spot was for the floor that angled back.

33fandbody001.jpg

33fandbody002.jpg

33fandbody003.jpg

33fandbody004.jpg

33fandbody006.jpg

man.. you are making quick work of this... and i agree.. your welds look great

keep it up man this is going to be a cool one for sure

choppin' it

if ya are gonna chop the top. waiting is a great idea!

l wanted my car to sit lower on the frame, so on the plymouth/dodge l raised the floor 2'' and it really made a huge difference on head room. can't chop mine now because my head would stick out the hole l'm leaving in the top.

likin' the look and direction the car's headed:D

Later:cool:

Last edited:
On here pics of frames and welds could never be boring, I think thats one of the things that make this site different from others. Keep up the good work and take more boring Pics!!! ha ha

This is a great build thread. Lots of details and good pictures. I think you've done this before?..:D Keep it coming please...[P

I think you've done this before?[P

this is my first fuzz, i cant remember when i joined here. but i been looking, reading, writing notes and asking questions. plus looking at some other places as well.

thanks for the great comments.

i spent all day working with these door to body fitment since i got the frame under it. i forgot the camera in the garage but i will get it after i go for pizza. i think there is a better way (like taking the doors off and building forward) but im so close to having it nailed down. i still have to remove the doors so i can put some bushings in it to tighten them up.

i bought 7 turn buckles at handyman this morning. fired up the welder and drill press. started to get jiggy with them and got most of what i need out of the cowl and door gaps. now i need to get some 1"x2" and replace the wood and build a body frame to hold it all in place. i got so much welded to my new frame rails ill spend all week cleaning it up to make it look pretty again. i think im going with 6 body mounts to hold it to the frame.

is there a kit out there from summit or something that i can get 6 body mounts? what did you use or did you just bolt it solid?

pics in a hour

the framework is looking good-
the kick-up angled with the floor-toeboard and hid in the cowl area is a really nice touch........[cl

thanks for a unique build thread......[P

keep it up-[;)

Wow. Just catching up with this thread. Very unique body. Frame is looking awesome and youre making great progress. Definitely one I'll be following along with. Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming! Thanks for sharing.

and what it looks like now, i just cant wait till its all out of there. the last pic shows some of the stuff i removed from it. lol

doorsandmore006.jpg

doorsandmore007.jpg

doorsandmore008.jpg

doorsandmore010.jpg

doorsandmore009.jpg

well nothing has really happened to the build, but tons of head scratching has been going on. i did get the metal for the door jambs yesterday. but the bigger problem is my rear axle.

if you look at what i have in this drawing i need some big help. i have a 1988 chevy 1/2 ton rear axle that is 65" w.m.s. to w.m.s. i need something alot longer. i see that the chevy 1/2 ton vans are 68" and the ford 1/2 ton vans are 69.25" w.m.s to w.m.s.

what to do what to do.

i dont think i can find a rim with no back spacing, so now what????????????

ohboy.png

What kind of wheels do you plan on running? If its a stock type wheel you can cut them apart and backspace them to what you need, I do it on race cars all the time.

rainman, i was looking to run aftermarket aluminum wheels. if i put the car back up/ into the air i would be fine and have enough room for most any wheel and back spacing combo. but i wanted to drop the frame to the ground and would half to have the wheel tire combo to the outside of the body as i dont want to raise the wheel well opening any higher than stock.

Latest posts

Back