1st time lowered straight axle install... any help ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Questions about vintage straight axle install... I'm kinda shopping for a front axle, this would be my 1st build using a straight axle... I came across an axle I like ( maybe the pics were reversed, or backwards ) but it looks like the hook up for the steering arm from the gear box is on the passenger side ( maybe they all are ??? ) to avoid bump steer ???

but this got me wondering, if it really mattered if you mounted the axle backwards or forwards ??? from a geometry point of view ??? how the brakes would function ( I assume the backing plates could be swapped from side to side if brakes were backwards ??? )

I guess I'd expect the steering arm that goes from the gear box would normally be behind the axle rather than in front of it ???

done a couple Jeep axles & suspensions, building...taller... anything different for building lower ???

Short answer is that therewill be some sort of steering bracket on both sides.
Long version is It all depends on what year axle you are looking at.
If it uses a drag link to the pitman arm that runs paralell to the frame like a Model A than the steering arm is on the drivers side with a connecter for the tie rod on the passenger side. These setups are what seems to be most prefered usually in conjunction with a F-1 steering box or something later like a Vega or Corvair

If it is a later Ford say a 1941 Then they used a cross steer setup to eliminate bump steer. So you would have a bracket on both sides with a tie rod going between the two. Then a drag link going from the pitman on the box to a connecting point about mid way on the tie rod.

There have been some fairly famous hot rods that were built back in the day that had the tie rod in front of the axle. It is just not as common a setup. I believe it was done mostly for engine clearence.

I don't believe that there is a front or a back side to straight axles but if some one knows different they will chime in.

If you are looking to get lower than you can either use longer shackles or invest in a dropped axle.
Hope this helped.
Torchie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back