2 cycle sbc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
2 cycle sbc?

Cob sent this amazing foto

2cyclesbc.jpg

Last edited:
that would def. be an amazing piece of engineering.....[cl
wonder what all went into the making of it...[S[S

dad had an old ford truck with a 6V-92 detroit diesel (2 stroke/cycle) and bizarre design features

those things always sounded "wound up" compared to any 4 stroke:D

I'm inclined to think someones pulling our leg here, kind of like checking your electrical system. If the horn blows, your ok. But if it sucks... it all hooked up backwards!! Good for a chuckle. [cl

I'm inclined to think someones pulling our leg here, kind of like checking your electrical system. If the horn blows, your ok. But if it sucks... it all hooked up backwards!! Good for a chuckle. [cl

I wouldn't think so. Cob is the fellow that built the reverse flow sbc that leaves folks scratching their heads. He is always engineering, building, or seeking out a bizarre mechanical contraption.

i, for one could see the POSSIBILITY of the thing working......now the actual details of MAKING IT WORK[S:D above my mechanical engineering degree:confused:

in the 4-wheeler world those little 350 banshee 2-strokes would outrun anything of equvalent size.....so...i wonder about power output possibilities with this
(i mean if the local guy can get 500 hp out of a sbc on a single 4 barrel without ever even getting on a dyno, this could be amazing for hp:D)

Oh it would be crazy fast... the speed it would wind up would be awesome... I would love to see it run....

Cob said the fellow that built it died before getting it to run :(

I really hate to hear that.... I wonder who has it now... maybe Cob does hopefully and we can see it run one day....

Yep, I recall those 2-cycle bikes could really go. An old friend had a H1 cow (650 if I recall right) that would dang near rip your arms of it ya hit hit it too quick. I can't imagine what kind of torque a 350 2c might have! I'd like to know though. :)

Was out West working around a lake lining project where they used a scraper and 2 huge V16 Detroit 2 stroke powered dozers as pushers to even up the lake bottom. The scraper would start his run and the 2 dozers would 'bump draft' him and spin them up, blow a jet of black smoke outta the stacks and let out this wild shriek/howl as they pushed the scraper!! I couldn't do my job from the distaction watching the 'show'.

Those 16 cylinder detroit 2 strokes were something. Do that to an SBC and you'll be famous.

PA41

That thing has a far better chance of running than you may think.

On a typical small 2 stroke engine the fuel / air mixture takes a path that is different than a naturally aspirated 4 stroke. The air is drawn in through the carb and into the crankcase by vacuum created by the piston travelling up. The fuel / air (and stroke oil) mixture waits in the crankcase until the piston travels down. During the down stroke of the piston the fuel air mixture is prevented from escaping the crankcase by reed valves between the carb and the crankcase or by windows or ports in the piston skirt. As the piston travels down is unblocks a port on the exhaust side of the engine allowing the spent gasses to escape. Very soon after this happens the transfer ports between the crankcase and the cylinder are uncovered by the piston and the pressure of the piston moving toward the bottom of the stroke forces the fuel / air mixtrue into the cylinder.

All that is to say: a 2 stroke engine needs some sort of pre chamber to stage the fuel / air mixture, unless you force the air in. That is why you need a supercharger. Now it would still be interesting to see how the exhaust and intake ports were designed.

So, in my opinion, this concept could definitely be made to run. It would fire twice as many times for a given RPM, would definitely have more horsepower and would probably suck down fuel like there was no tomorrow. But it sure would be cool.

All that is to say: a 2 stroke engine needs some sort of pre chamber to stage the fuel / air mixture, unless you force the air in. That is why you need a supercharger. Now it would still be interesting to see how the exhaust and intake ports were designed.

QUOTE]

The exhaust and intake ports on this example would have to pass through the existing water jackets, and it looks like direct fuel injection. Also the GM diesel 2 stroke had exhaust valves with the direct injection. I'm still holding out with a "I don't think so".

Sniper check out this site. It doesn't show this engine but does show how it would work on a V-8. The intake per say would be on the bottom of the engine threw a reed type system. And yes that engine is all wrong....But then again it might work if they had bored holes in the cylinders about half way down for the intake (you'd still need a reed system here) and almost at the top of stroke for the exhaust {and a reed system here}. For it to operate.....Ahh the big question is how do you setup you timing and dizzy? Unless they all fire at the same time?

This would have worked better if he had used a Flathead V-8.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4266514.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back