235 or 250 ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfgt

Im new to this so please be patient. I am gathering parts to put together a rat truck. I have been scrounging around and found two motors. I would like your opinion on best to build with/use.

#1 a 67 250 pulled out of a camaro with 72,000 miles. Didnt smoke ran ok. Been sitting in a garage for two years. Has carb to pan still intact. Tranny pulled $100.00

#2 a 1954 235. Unknown miles. Told it smoked a little at start. Carb to pan complete. No tranny either. Pulled 6 months ago. FREE

I want a split exhaust, daily driver six, with a stick. Which will be the most reliable, and reasonable to build? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Personally,

Im new to this so please be patient. I am gathering parts to put together a rat truck. I have been scrounging around and found two motors. I would like your opinion on best to build with/use.

#1 a 67 250 pulled out of a camaro with 72,000 miles. Didnt smoke ran ok. Been sitting in a garage for two years. Has carb to pan still intact. Tranny pulled $100.00

#2 a 1954 235. Unknown miles. Told it smoked a little at start. Carb to pan complete. No tranny either. Pulled 6 months ago. FREE

I want a split exhaust, daily driver six, with a stick. Which will be the most reliable, and reasonable to build? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

If you want nostalgic look the 235...but i'd do a rebuild if there was issues...if the 250 is good to go for the 100 bucks, might be the better choice.... looks less "old" but ...it would be the most economical choice...JMHO don't know your financial budget...

I have a wife and kids, so money is allways a concern:D But I have been hiding cash for a while. I have a s10 regular long bed purchased to rape, and a 53 5 window no motor/ tranny.

Im a machinist, and have helped many build toys of their own. I have favors coming. Hence the cheap price on my potential motors. I have knowledge when it comes to a small blocks, but know nothing about the little sixes. I also want something different than others have here in my area. I am in love with the idea of it being mine, not something everybody else has.

I want it to turn the tires decently, make some noise, and be reliable. Rebuilding either is not an issue, I assumed I would have to do a valve job on either for new gas. Im curious if one stands out way above the other in performance, and reliability. Also if one has more gogo gadgets avilable. Split exhaust, intakes, cams.

Thanks

Jim

Jim

I'd definitely go with the 250, common newer style trannys bolt up, you can find stock HEI distributors for them, they make way more power since they don't have the siamesed intake and exhaust ports like the old 235's. Also a much stronger bottom end with a 7 main bearing crank versus the 4 main crank of the 235, a real bonus if you have a habit of winding up the revs. Headers and a dual carb or 4 barrel intake will really wake them up. Lots of good stuff available for them, look up Clifford Research.
Another bonus for the 250 is that it weighs less - I seem to recall that the 235 I took out of my 55 Chev was heavier than the SB V8 I replaced it with.

Last edited:
I'd go with the 250.

018-4.jpg

019-3.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help, and enjoy having a place to ask questions from those with experience.

Jim

Last edited:
As someone who loves straight sixes - glad to see you are going with one on your build. You'll find people stop to gawk at your future ride more than if you had a V8.

Different is good!

Latest posts

Back