265 chevy question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratsnest

i have a 1956 chevy 265 engine,i was wonder if a 327/350 hp cam would be a direct replacement for the stock cam..i thought i read somewhere that the 265 cam had somekind of a notch in it...so i leave it up to yall to let me know...

Unless you are wanting to run the 265 as a numbers matching thing or some similar reason, I would sell it to a restorer and get a 283, 327, or 350. Here is why. The 265 was Chevy's first venture into the v8 market and they had some issues and are a lot different in many respects than the later blocks.

The first issue is the notch in the cam. You can modify a later cam to have this notch or order a special 265 cam from one of the cam guys. It needs that notch to supply oil to the lifters. (see picture below of a 265 cam)

The distributor is also different and has a notch to supply oil, and if you advance it too far it blocks the hole. You have to use a 265 distributor. The rear freeze plug that is directly behind the cam is different too and if your machinist doesn't know 265's he will put in a later one that is too thick and the cam won't seat. The rear journal on the 265 cam is also wider.

There are so many cheap used 350's out there that will put out more power stock than the 265 did hopped up that I can see no reason for wanting to use one. Just trying to save you some money and grief bud.:):)

Don

265cam.jpg

D

thanks Don,i might have to sale it...its a 60.000 mile motor and runs great ,no smoke no noise at all.if i keep it ill leave it stock...

Well, in that case it might be different. I thought you had one you had to totally rebuild. If all you want is a little more cam in it, call Summit and see if they have a 265 grind with the notch. You can also call Crane Cams in Daytona Beach Fl (I hear they are back in business) and ask what their part number for a 265 cam would be.

Heck, that sheds a whole new light on it, being a good runner. I'd try to keep it then. I also think the 265's have no provision for a starter to bolt to the block, do you have the transmission and bellhousing too to make that work?

Don

yes i have everything.the motor was free the powerglide was $50 both in good working condition...i was wondering what that plate was between the motor and the powerglide i guess its for the starter...ill take a better look at things when i go back to my brothers shop...

Latest posts

Back