28 RPU trans swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28RPU6

My little project has been on the road for a year now with a weak automatic transmission. I have been thinking that it is time to trade up to a four speed, so i have been collecting parts and finally got started this weekend. The trans is now in and I will finish up the crossmember this week. I will be dropping off the driveshaft to be lengthened today and hope to have it back on the road by the weekend.
It is a Mercedes M-110 engine which originaly used and independant rear so there is no slip yoke. Binder Grinder made a conversion yoke to go from the benz to a chevy u-joint. The drive shaft was the front piece from a 4 wheel drive. It is similar to what I have been using in it but now it wont have a rag joint in it.
As soon as I get the project complete, i will post some new picks. The plan is to be driving to the Lone Star Round Up in two weeks.

Attachments

• PHTO0019.jpg
    PHTO0019.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
It is a Manual. I just picked up the drive shaft this evening and hope to finish it all up by Friday night or Saturday morning.

It is complete now and damn, what a difference. I used a willwood floor mounted brake pedal and mastercylinder flipped upside down and bolted through the firewall. Terry brazed up a conversion fitting to go into the metric slave cylinder then to a 3/16" flexible line then back to a hard line into the master cylinder. I had to make a new crossmember, this time it is removable. I had a lot of grinding, cutting, and welding to do to make the shift rods work, but they work well now. Terry also made the benz/th400 yoke that eliminated the rag joint from my drive shaft. Major improvement. I had the drive shaft lengthened and its done. Sure wish Gary was here to have done it for me. Thanks to Terry, Donald, Jon, Glen, and Sherman for your help and to Connor for the laser work.

We made it to the lonestar round up and back. One of the guys in our crew twisted an oil pump drive shaft on the way down in his Ford small block in his T bucket. It took about an hour to fix and get back on the rode. Other than that we all had a great time. I put about 700 miles on mine during the trip and enjoyed the hell out of it. I will sort out a few pics and get them posted soon.

The Offey motor is what I want but the mercedes motor has a similar look and a lot of power.

Attachments

• DSC_0294.jpg
    DSC_0294.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 12
  • offy-hilborn-mat-1_jpg1d25250b-608e-4609-b37b-104dcee77945Large.jpg
    offy-hilborn-mat-1_jpg1d25250b-608e-4609-b37b-104dcee77945Large.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back