`28 rpu

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEROCOLOR

Hey guys, Found a glass RPU set up like a t-bucket today and need to know what these things are worth. Looks like a nice older build with a Halibrand rear but flathead & trans are gone.Good title and grille/radiator are included.
Shot me a price but seems high for what`s there.

Opinions?

Bill

Attachments

• 1 001a.jpg
    1 001a.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 1 004a.jpg
    1 004a.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1 007a.jpg
    1 007a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1 009q.jpg
    1 009q.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1 012a.jpg
    1 012a.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1 016a.jpg
    1 016a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 44
I'm not real good with prices. I always spend too much money building them and then take a beating when I sell them, but that looks like a neat little rpu. Maybe Don will see this. He should know as he has a few of these.

Are you sure that quickie is a Halibrand? The rear cover doesn't look Halibrand. Quickchange rears are expensive though so that's a plus. Is the whole body fiberglass? At least parts of the bed look like metal. I'm not familiar with that body. It's different from any glass T I've ever seen. I like it buy the way. It looks like someone spent some good money on it when it was originally built.

Looks like an attempt at making a '29 Model A roadster pickup cab. Not very true to an original. But, that wouldn't stop me if the price was right. Appears to be a steel Model A box. There were lots of different quick change manufacturers through the years, so that probably is not a Halibrand. It could be made into a really cool hot rod.

You have me guessing now. I assumed it was Halibrand but might be something else.It was HOT in that barn so we didn`t stay long. I think I have better pics. The body is glass with metal reinforcement.
He swears he`ll ship the 8BA and trans to me when he returns to the west coast but I can`t buy it thinking that`s going to happen.
He`s asking $5000.

Any idea what the rear is?

Attachments

• 1 026aa.jpg
    1 026aa.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1 027a.jpg
    1 027a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
  • 1 028a.jpg
    1 028a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1 033a.jpg
    1 033a.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 28
You know what? I really like that little car!:cool: Being styled after a Model A gives it just that little different flair that the average T-Bucket (NO OFFENSE TO THOSE WHO LOVE 'EM!!!:eek:). Just that little bit "different."

Dunno what I'd offer-so often in the old car market, it becomes a question of "what the market will bear...":(

Love to see a thread if you do end up buying the little guy.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Ok, let's tackle your rear end question first of all. I just edited my post. I thought I found out who built your unit, but now that I look at the two there are differences. I thought it was this one.
http://www.hotrodworks.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp@id=16&cat=Quick+Change+Rear+Ends.html

QCrearview.jpg

Not sure if yours is a CAE or what, but it looks very good in the pictures, and complete.

Now for the value of the car. Well, for starters you have a quickchange of some sort sitting back there. Realistically, that setup would probably cost $ 2500 or so to reproduce.

The car looks pretty well built from what you can see in the pictures. Not sure I like the straight up and down steering , but even that might be ok in reality. The body is actually very cool looking as is the whole car.....I like it a lot. Not a fan of the front end setup, the ones with the spring in front shrink up your wheelbase by about 6 inches and look added on IMO. But it wouldn't take a lot to get a new axle with the spring over or behind and do that differently. Might entail cutting off the front perch and redoing it, but also no big deal.

Front wishbones look a little too long to me, they would look better terminating right under the front of the cowl, but that is just my preference. It looks overall like the car was put together by someone who knew the right way to do things.

As for value, I always look at the components on a car and ask myself what it would cost for me to duplicate exactly what is there now. The car has lots of nice touches like the windshield, bed, body, rear end, etc. I don't think a guy could recreate this car for $ 5 K. Wheels look pretty good from what I can see too.

Bottom line, if you can afford $ 5 K and you really want this car, I would say yes. If he goes lower when green stuff is waved in front of his face, that would be even better. With some very minor changes you could make this car your own and be in it pretty cheap. You also wouldn't be tied into the flathead as an engine adapter could put a sbc in there pretty fast. (flatheads are pricey to build, that is why I wouldn't go that route, but they are cool and different)

Let us know how it goes..............very cool little rod you found.

Don

Edited again: Ya know, the more I look at this little hot rod the more I like it. Even the front end isn't horrible and seems to be engineered pretty well. Just a bad*** little car IMO. Proportions and stance look nice too. I also notice California year of manufacturer black plates, which makes me think it is titled as a 28. If it has a clean title that adds into the value too.

Last edited:
Thanks Don. I think I`ll go wave cash today and see if he bites.
Like I need another project but this does have some great potential.

Sure wish someone recognized that rear axle.

I've blown up those pictures of yours and scoured the internet, can't find that exact rear end setup anywhere. But there were a lot of quickchange rears made over the years, most for sprint car racing. Yours looks pretty old timey, what with the early Ford bells and backing plates. It looks like there are some markings on the top part of the rear cover, maybe something there you can read. Most manufacturers are proud of their name so I bet there is some indication of the maker somewhere on it.

I wouldn't be too concerned though. It looks like a nice unit and well put together with early Ford ends and brakes. Looks like an enclosed driveshaft setup too, but can't tell from the pictures.

I was going to advise you to put this question on the HAMB, but I just saw the thread you already did there. You better move fast on that car now that other rodders know it is out there.

Don

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back