283 ID help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molten

I picked up a 283 for rebuild for my truck. I found block number on net, but can't figured out serial number and cast date.

Block #3849852
SN #805487250 (front passenger side on deck)
Cast date 5-B-18

Thanks

This is interesting. I get to hits on the casting numbers

first - 1957-66 283, 220 hp, 2 bolt mains. Car-Truck
Second - 1964-68 283, 195-220 hp, 2 bolt mains, car-truck

The vin number you have is that off the pad on the block in front of the right head? I am coming up blank with that number. It should start with letters

The date is Feb, 18 1965

Thats the problem I have had trying to track this down. No letters at all.
Thanks for the cast date. Blocks is now stripped ready for prep for rebuilding.
This block has the internal baffle in the galley which is connected to a somewhat draft tube at back of block. When did they do away with this casting protrusion?

The heads I have confirmed are 65 as well, 3795896. Are these what they call "Power Pak" heads?

Thanks for your help.

Also,

This engine has no harmonic balancer,(nor tapped end of crank) just the small hub that crank pulley bolts to. Can I add a balancer if needed? Do I really need one?

That block # is strange. [S Should be two numbers with some letters as HOT40ROD said. If it's been rebuilt and decked, the number could be from the machine shop, and means nothing. (Except to the shop who did the work).

Casting numbers ending in "896" are power pack designs.

The draft tube boss was eliminated in '68 when they switched to large journal cranks.

Forged steel crank 283's only had the hub, no damper or external balancer.

Cast_crank_big_1.jpg

Cast_crank_big_2.jpg

Thanks for the great info. I guess the SN# doesn't matter, just wanted some history.

Thanks for the help all.

Latest posts

Back