29 ford starts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john's29

I am building a 1929 ford truck. We are using Tall T doors on this build. This truck will be stretched to a 4 doors with a 4' bed. It will still as low as possible and still be able to drive around here in western NY. Here are a couple of pics. The man welding is the brains behind the build. Without him it wouldnt be happening. You can see the cowl with the front doors on it. It has a long way to go.

1929ford001.jpg

1929ford002.jpg

1929ford003.jpg

well i'm looking forward to seeing more of this build....i think mr. welder will feel the heat from this build:p mainly his arms and legs.....

shorts and T shirt because it was 94 degrees out that day. We will be getting the supsenson in this weekend. Rolling by Saturday I hope. Really could use the rear tin from a 29 ford pickup. The upper piece that holds the windown in. I know Mac's and Howell's sells them but I would like original tin. Anyone?

Well I was on vacation this past week and didnt get much done. We did get the front end built and it now rolls around. Here are a few pics of the progress. Notice the sprring behind the front support tube. A little diffrent than the usual but we want the look of the straight axle floating in the front.

1929ford004.jpg

1929ford005.jpg

1929ford006.jpg

1929ford007.jpg

1929ford008.jpg

a few update pics. lots of measuring and bending, cutting. Next comes braces for doors and hang the rear doors.

1929ford023.jpg

1929ford024.jpg

1929ford027.jpg

1929ford026.jpg

Hey John i've got a couple questions. Is that thing as long as it looks or is it just the pics? And are you planning on more support on the frame kick up in the front, it looks a little weak to me. Also is there going to be enough spring travel in the front looks close? I'm not trying to pick you apart here just trying to give you something to think about. I really like where you're going with this build keep us posted.

its all good! yes more supports without a doubt. This frame with have cross sections put in. The spring is going to be close. We put weight on it to simulate a motor and there was still room for movement. If need be the frame will be boxed to allow room for the spring. Yes the truck is long. 141" wheel base. It should look purportionate when the rear doors and space behind it are on. I was planning on a 10' space behind the rear doors. The bed will be 4'
Thanks for the comments. Hoping more comments to come!

I prefer non disc set up on beam axle myself but would never knock anybody for doing what they feel safer doing. 141" Man that is long, you may have to run really tall tires to help proportions.

141" is pretty long, but i always say as long as its safe build it how you want it! your off to a good start.. interested in seeing how u build the rest of the cab

it will have some tall tires for sure.
straight axle is from a 58 chevy pickup. The brains behind the build took them and turned the spindle down to fit 75 1/2 chevy rotors.

How long is an average 4 door car at this era? (wheelbase)

Did you weld a nut to the front wishbones and thread the shakle tube to it?
I want to run wishbones on my project, but have not decided which method of attachment I want to use. I have entertained something like yours, but using a threaded mount that will reach through the wishbone.
Nice looking coupe in the background, with the perfect stance.

If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem

hole drilled in axle with a bolt going through. Tube and bolt will all be welded so it looks like the bolt is holding eveything together.

hey john, i just bought a 27 ford coupe and i need a drivers and passengers doors for it .Do you have any idea wherer i might get some ?
Dont really care how bad a shape that there in ,just need some to get started with?
If not doors ,then at least the door henges on the door sides ,the ones on my body are all good and if i cant find doors then i wanna try to make them and i have to start with the henges.
The 29 truck doors are the same as the t's.
Also i need some measurements on the sun viser so i can make myself one ?
I also need a trunk lid and a windshild frame too.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back