2x3 or 2x4 Frame Rails

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

39chev

Ok so I have made my mind up on not doing a s10 frame and doing a full on custom. I have already priced my new front end from speedway and I am looking for steel now. I was just wondering what everybody uses. I have seen both 2x3 and 2x4 frame rails and want to know what some oppinions on 2x's and thickness of them. So any opinions or links to good topics would greatly be appreciated. If it helps they are going to be for a 39 chevy truck with minimal weight just doin a plain 327 chevy auto trans small box on the back.

I've always felt that for something like a T bucket body a 2 x 3 frame is right, but for something like the 39 body you are using a 2 x 4 frame is better. I think the 2 x 3 looks too "thin" proportionately when sticking out of the bigger bodies, and there is the strength factor too...........with a 2 x 3 under a longer wheelbase/heavier car it can actually sag in the middle and cause things like the doors not to open right, etc.

I also always go to 3/16 thickness on both size tubings because it is not that much more but you can burn in a better weld and the extra wall thickness allows you to tap threads into it for non structural mounts like brake lines, cables, etc. I know some will say 1/8 inch wall is ok, and maybe it is, but I just always over build everything. :D

Don

Ok so I have made my mind up on not doing a s10 frame and doing a full on custom. I have already priced my new front end from speedway and I am looking for steel now. I was just wondering what everybody uses. I have seen both 2x3 and 2x4 frame rails and want to know what some oppinions on 2x's and thickness of them. So any opinions or links to good topics would greatly be appreciated. If it helps they are going to be for a 39 chevy truck with minimal weight just doin a plain 327 chevy auto trans small box on the back.

What type front axle do you need?

We have axles.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12831

Thanks for all the feedback so quick I have decided on 2x4x3/16 and hope to start the build early summer. I am going to just do a tube type like what you sell and would be interested in you axle with a 4" drop but I only live 40 miles from speedway's main warehouse in Lincolin NE so thats where I was looking. But when I am ready for an axle I will Check yours out some more. THANKS

Latest posts

Back