3 choices of rear ends....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I found a slavage yard today that claimed to have a Maverick, but I think they were talking about the white Mercury. I'm assuming they are the same rear end though??? There are a couple of other options for narrow Ford Rear ends... What should I do?

Here's the Mercury:
MercRear.jpg

Here's the Comet:
cometRear.jpg

... and I think this is a Fairlane??? It's stacked on top of another car and up in the bushes and trees, but I could see the rear end well.
fairlane_rear.jpg

I would go with the 9" if possible. Only reason is they're pretty much bullet proof and it's a dropout pumpkin for changing gears. Mercury is same as a Ford. There are now lots of performance parts for the Ford 8" too.

I think you will find all the rear ends you are looking at are 8" units. The Comet and Fairlane for sure. The Comet would likely be the narrowest and it is the same as was used in the Maverick (basically the same car with different taillights and gills/hoods).

About the only narrower rear you may find would be a 57-9 Ford station wagon which would be a 9", but those besides being very rare now days are almost unsortportable due to a lack of replacement brake drums.

The 8" units are reasonably strong in their own right and will last even behind a moderatly built small block.

resize

Yes its complete with brakes drums and ebrake cables
And the brakes were new with about 2000 miles
Was in my Aerostar
All you need to do is cut off the old mounts and weld yours to them :cool:

What do you want for that one? Once I pull these spindles off I may trade ya for an I-beam or some things you may need from my 37 PU.

Rear end

Its just mocked up under the Rambler
Its missing one brake drum it got lost in the big move of 2005 when I got married
Was from a running driving Maverick that got tubbed and a new rear:cool:

Latest posts

Back