3 speed ford toploader in T chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using a speedway chassis/sbc/early for 3 speed toploader. With the T bucket chassis will there be room for the f1 pedals? I am trying to use all early parts. 3 speed trans, enclosed driveline and an A rear axle. This car will be a manual trans even if I have to make pedals that resemble f1's.

I couldn't use buggy pedals. Just wont look right. The pedals have to come thru the floor. It just wont look correct if they don't. The only new parts on the car will be the chassis and body. Everything else will be period correct or at least look that way. I might have to make my own pedals. I was just curious as to if anyone has done this. I know there is a reason T bucket bodies are automatics but a hot rod isn't a hot rod unless it has 3 pedals.

There's got to be a way, look at the Bonneville salt flats cars after WWII, They even narrowed those bodies and still ran flat head V-8s and "3 pedals" check out "Bobs rat rod parts" on E-bay

Are you bulding a T- bucket? You might consider using a cowl style steering box. It's still traditional and with out the steering column going down thru the floor it would give you some more room to work. Plus if you are using an older ford top loader ala 1939 you may find that the trans tunnel can be much smaller than is needed for an automatic. So that may help as well.
Torchie.

I guess you could say a T bucket. But more along the lines of a lakes style modified. Custom chassis and glass body but the rest of the parts are period correct hopefully. Cowl steering is a good idea I haven't thought of. I will check into it.

T's modified or otherwise are cramped no matter what you do. That's one of the reasons that I have yet to build one. Although it's on my list. With my size 13 shoes I would have a hard time working the pedals. Although when I was younger I used to drive a Austin-Healey bug eye. So maybe it's just not my feet........;)
I have seen some modifacations done to this type of pedals in the past to allow for a little more room such as changing the shape of the foot pads as well as off setting them.
Time to get creative.....
Post some pics.
Torchie.

I am still sourcing parts Torchie. So no picks as of yet. In a month or so I will start on the chassis. I am going to try and score a body at the upcoming swap meet in kalamazoo in a month. Good metal and Michigan cant be said in the same sentence.

Latest posts

Back