30 essex truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30essex

I have been working on a 1930 essex truck rat for about 8 months now

I bought it as a project and wound-up redoing almost everything

might have been easier to start from scratch I think!

I am no where near done but its coming along! My goal is the have it street

worthy within in a year.. well see

56789.jpg

123.jpg

12345.jpg

This is where I got my donor engine and tranny from a 1985 ford DU-ALLY VAN LOL
Some guy out here made a dually van and it was for sale on craigslist for $400 I drove it 120 miles home!
The engine and tranny seem solid! my wife about killed me when I brought it home LOL I even got
sneers from people at the stop lights on the way home... it had straight pipes side exiting before the rear tires
with some blown out glasspacks in place

facebook_34999jpg.jpg

facebook_34998jpg.jpg

facebook_34996jpg.jpg

Got the engine out and started in on making a new front end, engine mounts and some zoomies
the previous owner had the front end z'd up like 18 inches it was ridiculous!
I brought that down to 10" now

67894.jpg

1234.jpg

5678.jpg

45678.jpg

facebook_34995jpg.jpg

2345.jpg

3456.jpg

I have a 1945 chevy truck axle I am working with and thats where I am stuck not sure if i should go 1/4 elliptical or spring over axle!?!

I hear/saw you can make brackets and mount them where the springs parallel springs were mounted to do a spring over the axle setup. saw a pic of this but im still unsure!?!?

I am trying to keep this whole build under 4k and still be safe

need your Help!!!

a guy on another forum did his like this. has anyone else done this?

I like how it uses the stock mounting holes. But I imagine it doesn't have much throw.

maybe I don't need much throw/travel

front11.jpg

front22.jpg

Nice find!I love the straight zoomies. Looks pretty killer. Nice steal on the van as well. Thats something Ida drove around in. LOL:D

Kool project. Keep the pics a comin.[P RR

little helpers

I only own one of the little helpers my daughter is in the light pink in both pics

but for some reason every-time I wanna work on the car I get a group of

kids wanting to watch.. Sometimes they are handy though for fallen tools and

they are happy to go gettem! To a certain extent I feel bad for them because

their bored "not much to do out here in the country "I just gotta watch out for

them when I am cutting and welding! Seems like alot of their parents are couch

potatoes and dont like to do anything more than watch sports on tv, screw and

let their kids roam the neighborhood..

facebook_34995jpg.jpg

2345.jpg

3456.jpg

I have a 1945 chevy truck axle I am working with and thats where I am stuck not sure if i should go 1/4 elliptical or spring over axle!?!

I hear/saw you can make brackets and mount them where the springs parallel springs were mounted to do a spring over the axle setup. saw a pic of this but im still unsure!?!?

I am trying to keep this whole build under 4k and still be safe

The last photo there doesn't look right to me. The way it is done won't allow the spring to have any travel up and down. To me it needs shackles, unless there is something there I can't see. Love the truck!

The last photo there doesn't look right to me. The way it is done won't allow the spring to have any travel up and down. To me it needs shackles, unless there is something there I can't see. Love the truck!

yeah that was just for mockup

I am working on trying to figure out how to attach shackles and make a pivot that bolts to the axle its a 1945 chevy axle I am working with

trying to do a spring over the axle setup but haven't got a good brainstorm on how to do it yet!

got any ideas?

yeah that was just for mockup

I am working on trying to figure out how to attach shackles and make a pivot that bolts to the axle its a 1945 chevy axle I am working with

trying to do a spring over the axle setup but haven't got a good brainstorm on how to do it yet!

got any ideas?

Someone makes a 90* bracket that bolts right on. But, they should be fairly easy to weld up too. Did you see those two posts ago? They look pretty solid.My 48 F1 was done using the paralell spring setup, and never went to the suiced style on it. My bucket is set up like most of the others here, which uses a different axle than what you have. Looking good.

I only own one of the little helpers my daughter is in the light pink in both pics

but for some reason every-time I wanna work on the car I get a group of

kids wanting to watch.. Sometimes they are handy though for fallen tools and

they are happy to go gettem! To a certain extent I feel bad for them because

their bored "not much to do out here in the country "I just gotta watch out for

them when I am cutting and welding! Seems like alot of their parents are couch

potatoes and dont like to do anything more than watch sports on tv, screw and

let their kids roam the neighborhood..

Someone has to inspire kids [cl, migth as well be a ratroder :eek:. my 2 grand kids love to hit the garage with papa:) be sides this not like they can dent my ride:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back