303 olds insight

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjjmm56

I'm looking at a 303 to use in a 36 truck can anyone give me some info,and your experences with them.

I have played with Olds engines over the years and currently have a 64 394 Olds in my rpu project. The 303 was the beginning of the Olds OHV V8 line and are good motors. Lots of torque, dependable, etc.

The downside is cost of rebuilding one. Anytime you build an Olds, or Cadillac, or Hemi you are going to spend a couple more times (at least) more than rebuilding a sbc engine. Parts are a lot more money and you just don't go down to Autozone and get most of them. Places like Egge Machine and Ross Racing carry the parts you need though. I have about $ 3000 in my engine on pretty much a stock rebuild, for machining and parts, to give you some idea of cost.

The second problem is transmissions. The 303 either used a stick setup (rare) or a hydramatic. The hydramatic is about 300 pounds and expensive to rebuild. I eliminated mine and bought an adapter to use a th350 from Bendtsens Transmissions, but the adapter alone was $ 1000.

The bottom line is, Olds are cool motors and good motors, but if you are going to play with them you enter a whole new realm of hot rodding and will be spending serious money. Gastrick will tell you that when he built his Hemi, or had his flathead done, both cost him a lot more than doing almost any other engine.

Just thought I would lay that out for you to help you make a decision. Here is a link to more Olds info than you will ever need in your life. Good luck.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715390

Don

Latest posts

Back