305ci chevy engine is at 32 degrees...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashori

I got the engine firing up...
it's a basic rebuild....
the initial timing is at 32...
the distributor I have I'm assuming has some advance but I didn't check to see what the timing is advanced...
this might be a basic question but should I change the initial timing or leave it or check the advance first?

Yeah, sounds high to me too, Mo. I usually set my initial timing to TDC, then advance it just a bit until it fires and idles smooth, then set it with a light. About 8* to 10* BTDC initial sounds like a good starting point.

The only time the initial timing is higher than 8-10 or 12 degrees is when the distributor is locked with no centrifugal or vacuum advance.
This is generally used in race applications only and not for the street.
If the harmonic balancer ring has spun on the hub it will show a false timing.

when you say "initial timing", how did you set that? Is this at idle or at 3000 or so rpm?
Set the timing at 34-36* at 3000 rpm. Check to see that you have no more advance after 3000. If you do , then purchase an advance curve kit. Install according to instructions, so that advance is all in by 3000, then check timing again. Set to 34-36 at 3000. Don't worry too much about initial timing (@idle) unless it wants to buck the starter.

Last edited:
After setting total timing to 34-36 @ 3000rpm, check timing @ idle. This is your initial timing advance. The total timing reading minus the idle timing reading is the amount of mechanical advance you have.
After all this is done, hook up your vacuum advance to manifold vacuum source. Check timing at 3000 again. This reading should be in the 48-52 range. This reading minus the 3000 rpm reading without vacuum is the amount of vacuum advance you have.
As Old Iron stated sometimes the balancer ring will slip. The timing mark should be verified by putting #1 @ TDC and checking alignment with the timing tab.
Let us know what your initial, mechanical, and vac readings are. Sometimes the mechanical and vacuum advance need to be limited to acheive proper timing.
initial+ mechanical= 34-36
initial + mechanical + vac= 48-52
Always listen for detonation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back