'31 A Progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piewagn

Got my crew workin' with me! An old vet, and a young one, he's 22, and into the old stuff. The vet is a riot, and keeps things light while we work. He just finished a '29 pickup, so everything is fresh in his head. He will be rebuilding the brakes & steering, and I will be concentrating on the motor & bodywork.
Can't wait until she's done!! This car has been in the family for years, and it's gonna stay that way! I'll keep ya posted!!

Jim S.

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 73
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 56
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 81
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 135
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 70
Made some progress! I've got parts on the way now! It's time to start prepping the frame for paint, and finishing the bodywork. I've got my header, Lion Speed Head, and Intake setup on the way. I will be putting in my order next week for the rest of the suspension, and brake parts needed. Gotta clean up all the hardware, and running gear for paint. Should be able to make significant progress next week! Havin' some fun now!!

Attachments

• a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 70
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 44
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 31
  • a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
  • a12.jpg
    a12.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Here's more pics!

Attachments

• a13.jpg
    a13.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
  • a14.jpg
    a14.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 22
  • a15.jpg
    a15.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
  • a16.jpg
    a16.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 45
  • a17.jpg
    a17.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 33
Piewagn,
Looks really kool & u're definitely makin' progress! Sweeeeet... keep up the good work & thanks for postin' u're progress!!!

BoB

Piewagn,
Looks really kool & u're definitely makin' progress! Sweeeeet... keep up the good work & thanks for postin' u're progress!!!

BoB

Thanks Bob!! I'll have more pics next week. The tedious stuff starts now, all the sanding, grinding, wire brushing, etc.. There's alot of work to be done just correcting someone elses F-ups, like the big hole in the firewall where they decided to "expand" the heater hole. Nothin' I can't handle though.

Looks good to me piewagon. The Lion Speed Head is supposed to be a big power booster for those bangers.

Thanks Gas!! That's what I hear, so I went with it. I should also get some performance improvements from the header, and Weber downdraft setup. Man, I can hardly wait!

Thanks Rockb1!
Yep, that's the one item I will not be touching. My Pop had the car out in the carport in the salt air for almost 5 years, it was rapidly deteriorating. He's pushin' 80 now, so he is slowin' down a bunch, and gave me the car. He knew what i wanted to do with it.

No pics today, forgot my friggin' camera! But, it was a little like Christmas today!! My 2bbl Weber w/downdraft manifold came today!! Woo Hoo! I'm hoping to get the Lion Speed Head, and header tomorrow. We were a little slow at work today, so I got a chance to do some bodywork. I'll have some pics tomorrow.

Well, I remembered my camera today! This thing was whacked pretty good in the ass at some point. I knew the rear would be my toughest issue, but I'm tackling it. Makin' progress a little at a time. I hung the manifold to see what it will look like, it'll look pretty good with the Speed Head, and header. The engine block will be yellow, with some black highlights ( starter, gen., valve cover ). I'm not sure if I want to go with the stainless acorn head nuts, or the brass. The wheels will be yellow also, with the body being "satin" black. The frame will also be black. Whaddya think??

Attachments

• aa5.jpg
    aa5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 25
  • aa4.jpg
    aa4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
  • aa3.jpg
    aa3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 28
  • aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 20
  • aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 29
A little more progress tonight. Got my wishbone split, and the bungs welded in. My header, and Lion Speed Head came, awsome stuff! I'm psyched!! It's gonna look great! Everyone at work was breakin' my balls about the whole "hot rod" thing, they wanted me to do it original, but I had a plan. Now that things are coming together, they're starting to see the picture I have in my head. Can't wait to get this thing done!!

Attachments

• wishbone1.jpg
    wishbone1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 14
  • wishbone2.jpg
    wishbone2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 19
  • wishbone3.jpg
    wishbone3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 17
  • wishbone4.jpg
    wishbone4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 19
  • wishbone5.jpg
    wishbone5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 22
Sweet....speed parts. I wasn't here for a couple of days and missed the fun. Did you have a good bevel on those tubes and bungs? I see you ground the welds down. Looks nice, I just wondering if the weld was deep. Not trying to insult.

Sanding, and more sanding! I'm gettin' close to primer. The left rear lower corner was whacked, someone mudded it up, and the lines were gone, so I had to sculpt new ones. Most of the hard stuff is done, now to sand the spot putty, then primer. I also made my own headlamp brackets. I didn't want to make the car fit the brackets, I wanted to make the brackets fit the car. Fun stuff......huh??

Attachments

• aa6.jpg
    aa6.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 23
  • aa7.jpg
    aa7.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 26
  • aa8.jpg
    aa8.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 12
  • aa9.jpg
    aa9.jpg