32 Ford truck body vs Model A sedan body dimensions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright so the other day I was doing some research for my wood bodied 30' something Ford roadster project. I'm in search of some detailed body dimensions for both a 30-32 Ford Model A roadster as well as a similar Model A truck body.

I found a single image with some hard to read numbers for a 32 High boy roadster.

15pon6s.jpg

Can anyone verify if these numbers are correct?

Also there is an old guy about an hours drive from my home who has a bunch of old 30's to 50's cars just rotting away in a field next to his farm equipment repair shop. While in the area, I went by his place last week and while no one was there to help me or answer any questions I was able to take dimensions from what appeared to be a 31 or 32 Model A truck body. It had been dropped on to a similar year dually rear chassis and made into a tow rig. The truck looked like it was last driven in the 50's and is very rough and maybe not worth the hassle to make a runner, plus the guy not being there to answer questions, I doubt it would be for sale.

The basic outside dimensions of the truck body are quite a bit larger than the numbers above for the roadster body. Overall width of the rear of the body at the body bump rails about half way up is 55", at the base was 52".

The firewall was also wider at 38-1/2" at the widest point while the roadster above has 36-1/2" but the height was about the same at 28".

Does anyone have an opinion on whether these dimensions are accurate? I'm not trying to make an exact copy of one or the other in wood, only I just wanted something to gauge off of.

Ultimately my idea will have the look of a 32 firewall to windshield frame cowl section with more of a 29's square edged rear panel (its very hard to make compound curved panels in wood that will simply be cleared to enhance the woods natural beauty). Also I want to lengthen the body behind the doors about 10 inches so I can bolt the seats to the floor and not feel folded up, I'm 6'3".

Thanks for your help, talk soon Travis.

No such thing as a 1932 Model A. Last model year for A production was 1931. Truck also dropped the Model A designation and changed significantly. You will find a lot of differences between '30'-31 and '32...

Latest posts

Back