33 Dodge, Scrounger Style!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebstew

There are a few on here that know I picked this old body up last summer. Alot of the guys in the club are running hard at the track so I wanted to build something I could beat on. I started on it a little over 2 weeks ago. I have a build thread on the club's forum but thought I'd share it on here.
Here is the body. 1933 Dodge. I did some horse trading and got the body. No cash. Vickers and myself took a road trip last year to Eastern Ky to pick it up. She's nothing but a shell.
002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

019-4.jpg

DAY 1
Didn't get much done other than alot of thinking and measuring. I pulled the drop axle out of the rafters and put the spindles and backing plates on it. I had to do a little work when one of the spindles hit the after market axle. Nothing a little finess with a grinder didn't take care of.
001-1.jpg

Got the spindles and backing plates on. It's funny just how nasty some of these old parts can be.
003-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Day 2
It's nothing new to catch stuff on fire. While I'm doing this stuff I keep cuts and burn marks all the time. Every once in a while when I'm welding or grinding on something I catch some paper or rags on fire. I'm always watching for it. It happens alot. I had my brother out there and he wanted to get pics of me while grinding. He said I looked like I had firework shooting off around me. Today I cought a rag on fire. Nothing new to me. What was new was that it was the shirt I was wearing. Nothing like the feeling you get when trying to put yourself out. LOL. I love hot rodding!
005-1.jpg

Alot more measuring and thinking about how to build the frame. I am having to fight my artistic side and not do fancy stuff. It's hard for me. lol. Being on a short time frame leaves me with no time to do some things I want to do. But this 33 is going to be nothing other than a stripped down rod to run on the track when we go. So with putting my artistic side away I have/had to focus on making it strong and safe.
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

012-2.jpg

The way I'm building the frame is an over kill but I want something that if I hit the wall it's not going to blow apart. I have the layout of the frame done other than the rear kick up. Front cross member is in but I'm waiting on my spring perch to come in the mail. It's not the best way to build a frame. No table or anything but bet ya it's more true than a factory 33 Dodge frame and alot stronger.
She hanging in there.
011-1.jpg

Day 3
I worked on my kick up on the back of the frame. I may be over thinking the process but I want to make sure it's strong.
003.jpg

The kick up took most of the day and I thought I would get it done but I snagged a piece of metal with my new cut off wheel and it went flying. It yanked the grinder out of my hand while the button stayed on. Funny how you run like a little girl when a grinder is flopping all over the floor. I have had my share of cuts with those grinding wheels. I wanted no part of it. So anyway, no cut off wheel and it's 10pm. Lowes is close. I dropped the frame on the ground and moved the body over. Moving the body by myself was fun. Hanging from the rafter I used the ratchet straps to let it swing like Tarzan.
005.jpg

008.jpg

Because of the time frame to build the car I can't do some things I want to do. Down the road I may channel the body and Z the frame but for now she's sitting on top.
009.jpg

It is sitting close to where it needs to go. I'm going to make the body mount brackets and then the body has to come back off to weld everything up.

Day 4
This has almost been a waisted day. I screwed up and didn't order a spring pivot. Almost everything comes in pairs but for some reason they sell the pivots seperate. After getting my boxes of Speedway stuff today I seen I was short one. I ran to the hot rod shop in Florence but they close at 5. So I called Speedway to get one. I was going to wait and see if the hot rod shop had one but if they didn't that would have left me another day late. fastest it could get here in Monday for an extra 42 bucks in shipping! WOW. It's a $6.00 part. So I went regular ground and it still gets here on Tuesday. Either way this messes me up. I can't get the front end mocked up without it. I was screwed. I started home after waisting my day trying to find one. I called Jim Wethington to see how he was doing. We got to talking about the pivot and he says he's got one, come and get it.............................
Mocking the front end so I know where to weld my mounts for the hair pins.
007.jpg

These cars where braced with wood and not metal. There is very little wood left. After looking at my mounting points and figuring how I was going to mount it I thought why not put the wood back in the bottom? with a 2X6 trimmed to fit it would make the perfect thickness for my mounting points I have on the frame. Took alot of trimming but there is a trimmed and beveled 2x6 just the way it came from Dodge Brothers in 1933. it goes right under the sill plate and sits up in a lip. It's funny just how strong that wood can make it. When I tighten up the screws I seen the body level out in the floor.
001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Day 5
Again looking for every little thing to make this stronger I flipped the mounts at an angle thinking of the forward force of the car. It also gives me more of a welding surface. Like I said it's over kill but that's what I want.
009-1.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

More of that over kill I was talking about. Not that it will ever do a wheel stand but I looked at this frame as if I was to drop the front end from 5 feet what would break? So some wedge shapes where welded into the front cross member.
018.jpg

I got enough welding done that I was able to take the body back off so I could flip the frame over and weld the bottom. Ripped the front end back off and drug out the frame.
020.jpg

021.jpg

Day 6
Today was pretty productive. Corey, my son came out and helped me move the frame around. It's getting heavy now that it's all together. I had a little more bracing and welding to do but within a few hours it was all done. We wire wheeled the frame to get the big gunk off and then I let the kids have some fun with the spray can primer.
DSC00005.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

We drug the frame back under the car and started the long process of adding wood blocks to get it hi enough. Another trick that I like is the use of fan belts for hanging stuff. They are strong but will flex a little if you drop the body too fast.
004-1.jpg

Body and frame coming back together.
001-2.jpg

I still have to drill through a couple mounting points but I did enough today to bolt the body down.
005-2.jpg

I don't care much for this front end. It's a little funny. I have these ends that I may change over to heim joints before too long but for now I'm going to run them. The problem is that the hole in the plate that hold them on is bigger than the holes in the ends. I remembered scoping these sleeves out at Sears not too long ago. I grabbed 4 and they fit snug in the hole and the bolt is a snug fit. I had to trim the ends but it was no biggie.
007-1.jpg

They worked perfect.
009-2.jpg

Day 7
I was hoping to have a roller by today but I ran into some problems. I put the drums on the front and they where drilled for a Chevy. I scraped enough lug nuts up from the other garage to get them on but after I got the wheels on I found out they had Ford studs with a Chevy bolt pattern. Had to go back to the other garage, two city's away to grab a couple lugs nut.
Front end is rolling.
002-1.jpg

Now for the back. BIG problems. I was worried about the FBody rearend sticking too far out. The car is going to be very low so I thought the wheels would be over the wheel well. I like the look but the rearend is too narrow. I'm 5 inches away from where the car will sit. The body is sitting on the tires in the back. This really messes me up! I can't do anything else untill this is a roller. I have to pull it outside in order to get the engine for it in the barn.
003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

I was so mad I had to come back home to cool off. I could order some moons with a reverse offset?? I just sold a set of ET mags I have had for years that had such a reverse off set I didn't think I'd ever use them. Go figure huh? If I order rims it will put me 3 days back waiting for them to get here. I really don't want deep dish chrome wheels on it either.
006-1.jpg

These next few pics are not for the weak.
Taped off almost a 6" section.
009-3.jpg

Shot some white paint so I'm not burning up and smelling the duct tape. Note the crease in the wheel well :no:
010.jpg

011-2.jpg

From the inside you can see the factory weld. I used it as a guide and sliced it down the seam.
013.jpg

015-1.jpg

019.jpg

020-1.jpg

027.jpg

029.jpg

034.jpg

036.jpg

This side had a nasty smash in it. Something hit the back fender and right where the mount is it pushed it up and towards the front of the car. Getting the metal to line up where it was smashed was a pain. You couldn't work them out because they had fractures in the metal. Alot of dolly and hammer work and I got it pretty close.
038.jpg

I only get a few spot welds and ran out of mig wire. You guessed it. It's 1 am and the stores are all closed.

Day 8
She is on all 4 wheels now.
004-3.jpg

The 1/4 are spot welded in place and will be finished up at a later date. Getting everything lined up is a pain. Working late without sleep leaves me second guessing myself. I used the tape measure so much I thought I was going to wear it out. Checking and double checking everything I'm welding.
005-4.jpg

I managed to get the rest of that crease out after it was welded up more. I still need to clean and weld up the stress cracks.
006-2.jpg
The back suspension is not done but will only go up another 2 inches at the most. The tires will be close and a set of taller slicks will be used in the future So the back will go up enough to keep the swell from the slick from hitting them. Pushed it outside so I can get the engine in there where I'm working.
014.jpg

Day 9
NOW IT'S A RAT ROD! 454 of Big Block Chevy Rat! Not sure why they call those other hot rod rat rods for. They either have SBC or 6 banger Fords in them. :cheers: lol.

Got the engine pulled and in the barn. Spun the 33 around and set the engine in the frame rails so I could start to figure out how to mount it down.
009-4.jpg

It was cool to have dad out there for a while working. Mid 70's he's still able to out work most men.
010-1.jpg

I ran into a few problems I didn't think I would. First is the steering. The 454 is so wide that I can't run the steering through the firewall like I wanted. I'll have to figure something out. The other is that I wanted the engine sitting way back into the firewall. To keep as much weight off the front end and more on the rear. I put it where I wanted it and thought it would work untill I got inside. There is no room for the brake and gas pedal the way I wanted it. So I'm going to have to settle with only about 5" through the firewall. Still not bad but it would have handled the 1/4 mile better with it further back.
011-3.jpg

Made my transmission cross member and got it bolted in. I then started on the engine mounts. That old jack is still coming in handy.

013-1.jpg

I had plans for a solid mount up in front but it was just easier to use the old rod trick. That's a Pontiac 400 rod. I was going to use some 302 Ford rods I had but I was afraid I'd break them when I get on it. [ddd Sorry had too. lol

Day 10

015-2.jpg

Had to fill in that big hole so I tossed it on the press and shoved the wrist pin back through and then cut it off flush.
016-1.jpg

017.jpg

019-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

I got the engine where it needs to be and fabbed up some brackets that I welded to the frame. The motor and trans are in!
I spent the rest of the night cleaning up the junk on the engine. Power steering, AC and more. Now at least it looks like an engine. Still like to find a bracket for the alternator and ditch that goofy looking bracket. Last thing I did was cut one of the square tubing for my moon tank.
024.jpg

Latest posts

Back