36 Ford Bobber Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mac, I was wondering if you could post a pic of how the pillar garnishes get installed. I have them and I was looking at them but I can't remember how they went on. With the chop, of coarse they don't fit any more so it makes it harder to figure out so that I can modify them. I think I know but I'm not 100% sure.

There are two screws in each one. There should be two holes in the A pillar or two tabs with holes in them. I think the low one will be alright but the top one may have been right at the chop level. Hopefully it was a little higher. I might have an old extra cab with the A pillars bare if you need naked pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
Thanks! On mine, there's a lip that looks like it should end up between the windshield frame and the a-pillar if that makes sense. So the lip would basically cover the terrible factory "joint" that I posted a pic of and wrap around the inside of the pillar with the edge near the door opening. I think that how yours are but its hard to tell if that lip really goes where I think it does. Am I right in thinking that?

On a side note, looks like your doors are maybe 35 doors...? They have the removable window garnishes which mine doesn't have but I think the 35 cab that I breifly had did have. I may be remembering wrong though. I am sure mine doesn't have the removable garnishes though. I'm sort of amazed at how many changes they made for each year of these cabs even though that are close to the same. All of those changes would require significant tooling changes so I'm surprised that they made them!

Sharp eye Willy, those are indeed '35 doors on a '36 cab. I got a little better deal on the cab because it had no drivers door, and I was arrogant enough to think I could just rustle up a door with one eye closed. Wrong mistake. The pair of doors that I finally found were '35's and really wrecked, so I fixed them.

Willy, I took some more pics of what I think is a partial '36 upper cab, and from the front this time. I thought when reading your question that the lip you were talking about was on the A pillar, but now I think you meant it was on the pillar garnish. So, anyway I took the garnishes off of this wrecked cab and took two pictures from the front. I put the upper screws back in to tell you where the holes were.

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks! I do still have the screw holes in my pillars so that's good. Can you take a pic in that exact same direction but with the garnishes either on or just held in place so that I can see how that flange on the garnish sits in the opening? Having these pics really helps me sort out how those garishness go on. I really appreciate you taking the time to help out on this.

Note to self: take pics of everything as you take it apart the first time no matter how simple. You never know how things change once you cut stuff up!!!

Willy, you are right, the front lip of the garnish goes over a lip on the A pillar. The flash on the camera ruined the shadow at the edge of the garnish that really showed it off.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 12
Mac, thanks!!!! That's what I was looking for. I thought that was how they go on but that confirms it. There is a notch on the garnish on one end and a flare on the other. Looks like the notch goes up with the flare on the bottom.

Man it's great that you have the same truck but all put together! Sure helps me out on these questions.

It was another night of grinding. Not much worth posting pics of but progress none-the-less.

I finally got the drivers side windshield opening finished up. I also got a bunch more grinding done. I still have a ways to go but I can at least see the finish line on the chop now. Man, I'm ready to be done with this part and move on to frame and drivetrain stuff!

chop%2B129.JPG

Last night I got the driver's side door leading edge done. Now I need to work the A pillar on the driver's side. I'm getting there slow but sure:cool:

chop%2B133.JPG

chop%2B132.JPG

Looks great.[cl
Most people have no idea how much work goes into a chop.
That's why there are so many unfinished ones for sale.[ddd
Keep at it.
Torchie

Thanks!

I had an idea of how much work it would be but my estimate was definitely pretty low! I'm getting close now though:)

Latest posts

Back