36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out Mac, you might start a new custom trend there! :eek:

Stuff happens, it just hurts when it's you it happens to. Go drink a soft drink, let it dry, and break out the sander again. Bet it looks even better next time!

It was close, Todd, but HAMBers curse out other people for being stupid and in my case there was only me there to blame, so I went a little easy on the poor victim------after a while at least.

Thanks GUYS for being there for me with some humour, I seemed to have lost mine there for a while.

My rear fenders are sanded for the last time, [I think] and are sitting there ready for paint.
Snopro, one advantage of an S10 truck suspension over a Ranger is if you want to lower your hotrods rear you can just put lowering blocks in under the axle housings, on top of the springs, not with a Ranger because the rear-end is under the springs.
Wouldn't an extra spring perch, welded parallel to the stock one on the bottom side of the axle tube solve this issue? Best to do it on both ends of the axle, of course.

I guess it would help to reposition the axle while you are at it. That would make about a 4-inch drop right there.

Last edited:
Yes, Skip, putting the perches under the housing would work, [my cousin had to do that once when we were kids]. I measured mine and it turns out that the underslung perches would drop the truck 6 inches. You have to factor in the thickness of both perches and the spring pack as well as the depth of the housing. That was too big of a drop for me, as the frame was only a couple of inches away then. Good thinking, just not for me, this time.

Bama, "Bet it looks even better next time."
Yes it probably will, but it's got nowhere else to go than up. I sure HOPE it looks better next time.

Snake Farm, I've told you and told you, "you don't get quality control when you buy at Walmart but if you do it yourself it'll always turn out-------whoooo------- I can see where this is going."

Yes, Skip, putting the perches under the housing would work, [my cousin had to do that once when we were kids]. I measured mine and it turns out that the underslung perches would drop the truck 6 inches. You have to factor in the thickness of both perches and the spring pack as well as the depth of the housing. That was too big of a drop for me, as the frame was only a couple of inches away then. Good thinking, just not for me, this time.

Bama, "Bet it looks even better next time."
Yes it probably will, but it's got nowhere else to go than up. I sure HOPE it looks better next time.

Snake Farm, I've told you and told you, "you don't get quality control when you buy at Walmart but if you do it yourself it'll always turn out-------whoooo------- I can see where this is going."
Oh yea! I see it now. If I was good at math, I would be a rich engineer. :D I remember doing it back in the day when we wanted the stink-bug stance. Only then we were putting the diff under the axle to get the back end higher!

Well, I let the point on my fenders dry. The good one looked easy so I grabbed it and sanded and primed it. Now for the camouflage one.
We had our vintage tractor plowday last week-end and I wanted to take three old tractors and seven plows, but I only got two tractors running, so I went with those two and the seven plows. So, instead of watching black paint dry for a week, I was busy with other things.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 9
Now my grassy, hairy fender is almost sanded off. My dual action sander saved me a lot of scrubbing with sand paper. # 80 grit was too severe so I went with #280 which was almost too light in the loafers, but worked. The fur is not all gone yet but will be shortly.

Here's the furry fender pretty well sanded off and the next picture is the bad furry one primed, again. Now both fenders are in primer and then sanded for the last time.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 16
It turns out that I'm not done practicing, POPS. I've been impatiently waiting for this day for a while now and today I painted the fenders.
I've got spatter all over them. Maybe I stirred the old paint too much or not enough, or didn't let the reducer work long enough, but I have another poor paint job.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back