37 IH

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72corv3tt3

Well I finally got around to picking up some steel yesterday and after a bit of running around found a chopsaw that I like. So I will finally be starting to do some work on my truck.

bringingthetruckhome009.jpg
mock up.

pic2.jpg
Frame design.

Nice start you have there.

I don't think it's a 37 though.... 34-36 they made that style. I could be wrong but I spent a lot of time looking at them when I picked up mine. Was there wood door innards? Is the back of the cab made of 3 pieces? If so it's probably 34 or 35. I believe mine is a 1936 since it had 1 piece all steel doors and a one piece rear cab + I somewhat deciphered the chassis ID tag. I have known of some folks that refer to some as 36.5's.

I will watch this build... we are going to have to change the name of this site to IH rods rule!

Nice start you have there.

I don't think it's a 37 though.... 34-36 they made that style. I could be wrong but I spent a lot of time looking at them when I picked up mine. Was there wood door innards? Is the back of the cab made of 3 pieces? If so it's probably 34 or 35. I believe mine is a 1936 since it had 1 piece all steel doors and a one piece rear cab + I somewhat deciphered the chassis ID tag. I have known of some folks that refer to some as 36.5's.

I will watch this build... we are going to have to change the name of this site to IH rods rule!

I agree with you. I don't think it is a 37. But seeing as that is what the bill of sale calls it, I am planning on calling it a 37.

Yes their is wood in the cab, though not for long.

The rear of the cab is one piece, with the roof bolted, or rusted on.

The guy that I bought it from had bought three of them and then built a full fendered street rod out of the good parts. As I understand it, I bought the leftovers.

Well I finished cutting out all of my pieces for the frame. Tomorrow I will start chamfering the pieces and tacking it together.

cuttingpart002.jpg

Pile of pieces

Last edited:
Well today I started to tack things together. Then I started looking at it and decided to rip it all apart. I wish I would have used fewer/smaller tacks :rolleyes:.

I was going to run a 10 inch z, but I decided that I need to rethink that. I am thinking of changing that to a 13 or 14 inch z. Luckily I still have about 8 feet of steel left.

What do people normally do for a z? I just kind of picked the 10 inches randomly without any real thought into tire size, ride height, or suspension travel.

Yes their is wood in the cab, though not for long.

The rear of the cab is one piece, with the roof bolted, or rusted on.

I was talking about the doors... the 34's and 35's had all kinds of wood inside the doors and a flimsy piece of sheet metal to cover up the inside where most 36's have doors that are made completely of steel with no wood support. The one piece cab back points towards 36.... no big deal though... whatever a guy can do to get it titled.

Well I settled on a 14 inch z, so I cut a couple of new pieces and started fitting everything up again.

IMG_2239.jpg

Trying to make sure I hit the dimensions that I want.

IMG_2241.jpg

Well seeing as how I don't have a chassis table this is the best way that I came up with to square everything up.

I took a wedge out of the front frame rails, so tomorrow I will weld those up and hopefully start to fully weld the frame.

Well I picked up a 9" out of an eighty's Bronco, 3.50:1.

I managed to get the front end assembled. The adapters for the chevy rotors where kind of interesting to get on. The instructions said to put them in the oven for 20 min. at 400. I tried that and only got them on far enough to get them stuck. So they went back into the oven at 550 for about an hour, until they turned blue, and I sprayed the spindle with an upside down can of dust off. Then they slid right on.

cuttingpart005.jpg

Then I finished it up and put it under the frame.

cuttingpart006.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a great start, love to see that frame work-me, i'm just not brave enuf to tackle that! keep up the good work, and remember those progress reports:D

Latest posts

Back