37 slantback

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

well the day has come to drop the body back on !! I have some questions ,,has anybody installed a rack and mounted it to the axle? that 302 is sitting right were the steering box mounted. I have seen some mounted there .any help will be a big help!! thanks vinman[cl

Attachments

• untitled37.jpg
    untitled37.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo91237.jpg
    Photo91237.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 34
  • frame 302.jpg
    frame 302.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Looking good!

I have seen it done with an Omni behind the axle r&p. I researched it when I was thinking about doing it to my '47 IH pickup. Looks straight forward just need to have a sliding steering shaft - off road/rock crawler stuff.

Have you looked at the Chevy Cavalier racks? They bolt to the frame, and the tire rods are mounted in the center instead of the ends. You could make a drop to lower the tie rods from some plate. I've never seen it done on a straight axle, but have seen one done that way on a Ford Maverick, so I know it's possible. I have thought about doing it myself, my Lincoln steering box was in way if the Chevy motor mount, don't know how it will be with my 302 Ford. I want power steering anyway, so I'm going to do something....

I seen one done on a 55 Ford pickup. He used a regular R&P the slip joint was just a lubed 3/4" double D shaft into the stock GM steering column.
He said it's been that way for 10 years with no trouble.

I've done 4 or 5. oneeye gives good information. Used aSirocco & Geo racks. Used a double D shaft and sleeve for the slip joint although there are other options. You only nee to provide about 1/2" of movement if the output shaft of the rack it pointed correctly.

Latest posts

Back