3800 engine anyone use?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99monte

I've got a wrecked 96 Olds LSS with a good running 3800 2nd series supercharged engine (240hp). Wondering what rear wheel drive transmission would bolt to it and is anyone using one of these in any builds they're doing.I also have a 48 Fleetline Aerosedan in the back 40.....

I did a quick google search and found a ton of information on it. I believe you can swap it over, but on some of these motors the accessories like the alternator are on the opposite side of the engine, so you'll need to get the accessories and brackets from a RWD 3.8.

The intake is also facing backwards instead of forwards. They are great engines, and some were even supercharged, but there would be a lot of messing around to get it to RWD. Not that it can't be done, but maybe you could find a RWD 3.8 instead, that would be much much easier. To me it wouldn't be worth the hassle, as I doubt it would be very cheap in the long run.

Apparently the flexplate is different as well. I believe a 700R4 should bolt right up otherwise, but don't quote me on that.

There are tons of other forums discussing this, I was reading some of them. Some of the F-body forums are a great resource for this.

The late 70's RWD Cutlass & Regals ran the 3.8L V6. I'd check and see if some of that stuff might hook up.

Beercan

I had a '78 gold 2-tone Turbo Regal & loved that motor & really loved to hear that turbo wind up!!! Good luck on gettin' that motor set up in u're ride!!! Be sure & let us know how it shakes out!

BoB

I know a guy who has done this. Supercharged 3800 I believe from a Grand Prix GTP and an overdrive automatic in a early 50's Chevy. He used all the engine control electronics. Sorry, but I don't know much about the details of the swap. Actually sounds like a inline six with split manifolds. Awesome car.

Blue

I have been thinking about using one in the rear of a vehicle. Lots of issues to work out but doable. I guy I know just put a front wheel drive Caddie engine in the box of a 70's Dodge pick-up.[cl

The late 70's RWD Cutlass & Regals ran the 3.8L V6. I'd check and see if some of that stuff might hook up.

Beercan

The 70's 3.8 V6 was the older 60's Buick derived engine, also used in the great Buick Grand National turbo cars from the 80's. The 96 3.8 shares only the displacement, it's a different engine. I'm thinking the tranny, etc. from an S series pickup from the 90's would work for you.

This was one of my fav cars... bought it new in '78! Loved that Turbo 3.8L... it'd definitely eat some highway!!!

BoB

Attachments

• TurboRegal.jpg
    TurboRegal.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 13
3.8L Buick info - the basics of them are the same as far as bell housing bolt pattern etc. You can use a 60 degree V6 RWD trans behind them. There are internal differences though that keep you from say slapping a GN intake on a N/A FWD 3.8 or putting a blower from a series II on a N/A FWD 3.8. The heads are different between the N/A 3.8 and the supercharged units. That being said they are a very reliable motor and have been time tested (1978 - 2005) If I'm not mistaken the fastest 3.8L supercharged FWD car is making 410 hp at the wheels. There is a ton of power upgrades out there for them. Fiero guys have been dumping them in there little Tupperware Chevette / Citation abortions for years. A smaller blower pulley, free flowing headers and exhaust coupled with a decent dyno tune will net you 275-300 hp. AND they will knock down 28 mpg! Leave the front drive accessories and route the air intake into the cowl and let it rip![cl

3.8L Buick info - the basics of them are the same as far as bell housing bolt pattern etc. You can use a 60 degree V6 RWD trans behind them. There are internal differences though that keep you from say slapping a GN intake on a N/A FWD 3.8 or putting a blower from a series II on a N/A FWD 3.8. The heads are different between the N/A 3.8 and the supercharged units. That being said they are a very reliable motor and have been time tested (1978 - 2005) If I'm not mistaken the fastest 3.8L supercharged FWD car is making 410 hp at the wheels. There is a ton of power upgrades out there for them. Fiero guys have been dumping them in there little Tupperware Chevette / Citation abortions for years. A smaller blower pulley, free flowing headers and exhaust coupled with a decent dyno tune will net you 275-300 hp. AND they will knock down 28 mpg! Leave the front drive accessories and route the air intake into the cowl and let it rip![cl

I was thinking about putting a V6 in my roadster. But the more I think about it, it's just not worth it to me. You put all that work and money in and reasonably will be less than 300HP. 300-350HP isn't too hard to get out of a SBC for a lot less money. You won't get the same mileage, but what's that worth to you?

I'm looking at all the work falconvan put in to get that SHO engine to work in his coupe just to be disappointed and now putting a big block dodge in it.

Latest posts

Back