39 Chevy pickup onto S10 frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

39chev

Hey everyone I am going to attempt my first car build this comming summer and had a few questions. I have a 39 chevy pickup and was wondering about frame ideas. What I hope to do Is is use a s10 frame and 350 engine and was wondering if that would be the best idea the truck is going to be full fenders and just shorten the box as much as needed to fit. Hope to get some good feedback so I can get a frame and start the build soon pics up as soon as it will warm up hear in Nebraska.

My brother and I put a '46 Chevy on a 4X4 S10 SWB chassis, it looks a lot better with the box shortened. We used a 4.3 V6, moved back about 6". Lots of work, but worth it.

A lot of guys are going to bust your chops for even broaching the subject of using an s-10 frame. Personally, I've never done it. I have only examined what other people have done. It sounds like you allready know it doesn't look "right" without fenders. However, I have seen some AMAZING looking trucks WITH fenders built by some of the guys on this site. Realize though it still takes a lot of work to pull off. Hopefully some of the guy's that have done it will give you some tips. Research the builds section. It's like going to school, only way more interesting. There are a lot of really talented folks sharing invaluable info. Good luck.

I really like this site and the folks on it...BUT I'd like to recommend another site, if for nothing more than pointing you in a more brand-specific direction:

www.stovebolt.com

There are LOTS of good people over there, too-many are "resto only" guys, but a fair few are into modernizing, upgrading or just plain "modding" their trucks. If you spend some time reading their "Hi-Po Shop" forum, you may find a thread there covering your exact swap and any concerns pertaining to it. There, as with many other places on the web, the "AD to S-10" swap has been about done to death.

If you do end up doing this, PLEASE share your results with a build thread here! It would be nice to see pics of a different type of body swap.

Thinking back on it, I seem to remember a member either here or over at killbillet.com who swapped a '39/'40 Chevy halfton onto a Toyota chassis powered by a Buick V-6... A few hours with the "search" button on several different forums will be time well spent researching.

Best of luck and keep us posted![P

Regards,
Shea:)

Ya thanks for the other sites to look at and My brother and I are going to try to get some good pics this weekend and hopefully be able to get a frame this summer.

I also have a '39 chevy pickup cab for a build platform. I stopped by a guys house this weekend who was doing the same swap you're thinking of doing with his '37 chevy pickup. I noticed that the frame is too wide for the front of the cab and you will have to do some serious fabrication to narrow the frame, he cut that section of the frame out and is making his own. However the rear of the cab fits perfectly on the s10 frame and sits right about where the front bed mounts are, you will have to cut those off to fit the cab. [;)

[ddevThe swap idea really sounds great and cheap when you an all you buddies are drinking beer and thinking of building a truck. I will have to tell you I have yet seen one done that looks good without fenders..... Save you money and look at some of the builds here that have made there own chasis..... Take your time..... Learn.....and I am sure you could make somthing better in the long run.... Dont waste a cab on being in hurry to put some **** box out there... Put some ideas on paper and go from there.........

Ya I have done alot of research on here and other sites. I am planning on running all fenders to cover the ugly IFS and they make a kit to put the 39 cab on a s10 frame. Right now this was only just the first idea for the pickup I am still tossing up the idea of making my own frame and have already priced the parts I need. My Favorite idea is making my own frame I think they look better two so its all just up in the air right now because im not going to start till summer.

Latest posts

Back