3ton bobber?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
Need help. I found a 1949 Ford grain truck. I want to build a bobber. Short back end, suicide axle in front. Built low and chopped cab. Kinda like the idea of the 8.25x20 tires being about as tall as the cab.

Looking the truck over, it looks like I would need a driveshaft tunnel up into the dash in order to get the truck cab down low n

Anybody done BIG truck bobber? Ideas? Feedback?

GOLD03

You have an idea on the ride-heigth, so that could be a starting point in the frame design you'd need to ge it down on the ground. By z-ing the frame, both forward and rear you can get the center section as close to the ground as you want. You can build a frame with rectangular tubing or modify the origional frame, that's another choice for you to decide.

How much of the origional "49" do you intend to use in/for the final build?
Hows much money do you want/intend on putting into the finished product is an other question for you to decide.

With the size tires you want to run and the space between the bottom of the cab and the ground, you definitely will end-up with a tunnel running from the cowl to the back of the cab, no question. The tunnel would probably be one of the last things to make, after the running gear and cab is all set in place.

Suspension, both front and rear is next. Which way do you want to go with that? Normally, it's leaf springs, coils, coil-overs or air bags.

After you get a frame, suspension and tires under it, what engine and tranny are you going to put into it? Now is the time to decide and get it installed.

Steering is the next thing. What and how do you intend to manuver the beast up and down the road? This question might be decided when you think out the front suspension too.

Brakes are of utmost importance. When thinking up the suspension, brakes can figure into that plan too.

From about this point on, you have a wide-open book to work on and it's all up to you, which way do you go about the plumbing, wiring, lighting etc etc etc...

Taking on a complete build or a highly modified existing vehicle involves a lot of "think time" and can make or break the project. Think it all out, over and over, but one step at a time and it can be obtainable. Do a lot of reading, expecially on this web site and you can find a lot of answers/ideas to play with your mind. Your enthusiasum (?) will no doubt go up and down, you just have to stay at it and in time, you can do it. Ask a lot of people a whole lot of questions.

GOOD LUCK
BE SAFE

Texa

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at a complete running truck with two speed rear axle. It's a three ton. I would like to use original frame. Z it to get the fide height of the centre section down. My concern is really the size of the wheels and tires on this truck.

In my mind I envision a ride height limited only by suspension movement. However this makes for a very intrusive tunnel. The ujoint height of the rear end is quite high.

I might be better off to limit my center section drop in order to limit the height of the tunnel.

I'm looking for feed back from anyone who has built a bobber from a three ton or similar using original axles.

Large five bolt wheel pattern. Two piece rims. Any rim options to eliminate two piece rims?

Thanks for any ideas you guys can give me.

Gold03

Yes, Z'ing the frame is much better than cutting down on interior space. Especially when you have big feets! :eek:

Beercan

What about dropping the motor and tranny down to an acceptable level and then "stepping" the driveshaft back up for the rear axle using a seperated transfer case with an offset output shaft? I've seen transfer cases that didn't bolt to tranny,had u joints between tailshaft and transfer case..not sure what they came out, maybe old power wagon?

Not a lot of bites on the big truck bobber. The original 8.25x20 tires are $450.00 each! Yikes! looks like I will be better off changing out the axles for modern brakes and rims sizes. That would also give me a better gear ratio.

I found a metal rack I can use as a frame table on the web the other day and bought it. I would upload a pic...but won't let me.:confused:

Found a pile os steel also. Just gotta get a truck home. The 49 is looking like the best option at this time.

Gold03

Impratical to get it down to the ground all around but HEY, that look has been done. How about down to the ground just in front.With a short wheelbase you could bring back the old Rat Fink rake :cool: 95% less work and just as much shock value :)

you can take a look at my build.. it started life as a 1.5ton truck...

there is also a difference between multi piece rims and the "widow maker" rims the widow makers are one specific rim design from Firestone that splits in the middle. Most of the old trucks with the multi piece design rims are technically one piece rims with a locking ring...

The widow makers are the one in the attached image RH-5degrees

I still chose to make my own front rims, the ones I have on the rear of my truck are actually a 3 piece design (TYPE AR) that the restorers consider to be one of the best designs

also your truck will have much taller tires than are available for the narrower rims that were on the trucks of the 30's

The axle ratio for the big tucks is also a huge problem, you can dig through my thread to see how I fixed that...

Good luck

Attachments

• 49_budd_catalog.jpg
    49_budd_catalog.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 64
thanks for the input guys. I wouldn't be to worried about the rims if I could get tires to fit....apparently not any I can afford or want to pay for. Once in a while you have t drive a rod like you stole it. I don't want to kill $450 tires.

I like the idea of using the original rims for that "look" but something that fits modern tires is a must.
I will check out your build CORPO.

gold03

I keep trying to upload the picture of the deal I got on a frame table. won't let me.

I bought it, 1949 Ford with running flathead, here is a couple videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_GU_S1Lvk&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kZshL03h9Y

Now I'm looking for a class a motorhome to salvage axles from. The gears in this old truck are REAL low and the tires are obsolete. Newer motorhome axles gets me a good gear ratio, and modern brakes.

I have a line on a cummins motor, and Alison automatic from a school bus. I might put the cummins in it and sell the fathead. Not sure yet. If I go with the cummins, I will be leaving the fenders on and if I go with the flathead, I will be taking them off and doing a suicide axle.

Still time to decide which way to go. My wife does not like the suicide axle look...[S

gold03

If you're thinking of a diesel, look into the Isuzu motors. A lot of people are using those as the price of the Cummins motor has gone up, they're easily rebuildable (removable cylinder liners) and they turn up at the boneyards more often. You can get a conversion kit to bolt a GM 700R4 behind it, and the box vans they come in are rated to carry something in the region of 10,000lbs, so they're tough motors. There's a guy on a couple of other forums that put a turbocharged one in a '67 F100 and I remember reading that it'll do donuts all day, beats all of his friend's Cummins powered Rams, and returns well over 30 mpg. It makes sense if you're tight on space as it's a four cylinder, so it's narrow. Good luck with whatever you go with - sounds like a fun project.

Not seeing a lot of Isuzu stuff here in Alberta. I can get the Cummins and Allison auto for $800. Still thanks for the post.

With the price of fuel, it might be worth looking at for the next one.

No problem. They put them in the NPR box vans, and I believe they were rebadged as GMs too. Good luck with the project, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Great price on the Cummins/Allison - hard to turn that down.

hey i saw your from alberta.... i live in edmonton, and am trying to get back to work on my project, a late 20's cab (not sure what it is still) using a mid 40's chev 2.5 ton (alot like corpo's) a cummins from a '90 dodge with a NV4500 trans, and to overcome the 7:14 ratio that was in the 2.5t origionally i parted out a 95 gm 3500HD (has the same wheel bolt pattern at the old gm 2.5 ton chassis) using the dana 80 rear diff with disk brakes. you can have a gander at my project under the builds thread "new project, what is it"
now that its winter i wanna get rolling on this thing again!!

where you located?

JD

Edmonton! Funny huh, two guys from oil town want to build big trucks. Go figure. I think I am going to go with the original flat head and reserve the cummins for some future consideration. Damn flat head just runs to good to take it out.

Im collecting parts and looking to start building int he spring. No heat in the garage:(

I will have a look at you build thread.

ha! very cool man. hopefully we will see each other around in our rides someday.
i was gonna run a flathead v8 too but i drug my a$$ too long on a free engine and it went to someone else...:mad: but im a diesel mechanic (bobcat of edmonton rental dept) so a cummins is natural for me.

the only major problems i forsee is getting an inspection done on my creation once its complete, since it will be a home built amalgamation of parts... from the research ive done thus far.... ive learned that if a VIN has not been registered in the last 50 years it will not be in the system and will need either an out of province or collision inspection (hopefully your truck was registered in the last 50 yrs) and from what ive found so far to get an assigned VIN (in my case no good VIN can be found and its home built) you also need a out of province or collision insp....:mad:[S
you have any pics of the truck you wanna bob??

oh yea i found the youtube video.... very nice solid truck!! looks like someone was well on their way in the restoration. does that thing have a two speed rear??
the 95 gm 3500HD i parted out had a dumpbox on it too and i am going to retain the PTO and hyd pump on the tranny and my plan is to have a hyd tilt bed and i would like to run aux hyd so i can go out to the farm and run dad's log splitter with my rat rod! i also picked up a engine driven air compressor for the cummins so i will have on board air too [cl
i will be interested in seeing what you create!

JD

Yeah the original differential is a two speed. Not using it though. going to try and pick up a front 1947 Ford Car axle in the morning to run suicide out front and have a line on a Dana 44 narrow fort he rear.

Can't wait to get started on this one.

I need to find someone who can use the box and hydraulics, as well as possibly the front clip and axles.

I might run the original trans for a while, but I would like to change it out for something a little more modern. Original has straight cut gears that howl like mad.

Latest posts

Back